Hi all,

I just bought an FrSky Taranis for my quad copter and needed to get the Mavlink data up on the Taranis LCD telemetry display. So here is my solution using a Teensy3.1 as a converter between MavLink and the S.Port on FrSky X8R.

See attached file below...

Views: 307023

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you hook up the RX line as well it should request the packets, or you can go to mission planner and somewhere in initial setup tab you can click a "enable telemetry" button that will force the apm to spew packets regardless.

it could be any , s.port is 3.3v but 5v tolerant & the 3.3v promini has a regulator with input of 3-12Vdc so in both case's it should wireup/work the same.

Hi guys! I think we need to do a little recap here.

Basically we have now 2 different boards that can be used to supply telemetry to taranis: one is the original teensy and the other could be any arduino base board (like HK´s Arduino Nano V3.0)?

Sorry, noob question. Where do I plug in to frsky d8r-xp ? 

2/RSSI? 

Does the Blog topic help you?

"APM MavLink to FrSky X8R S.Port converter"

Not sure i understand your response. 

Ive done everything in the blog. My teensy is ready to go, just not sure where to plug in to my receiver.

@Bernardo Diaz that is correct :) , i think it would be good to warp it like i talked about then it could be merged with the original code git and added to a wiki page to save users getting confused about what site/firmware they have to download, im working all this week but should have time to do this on the weekend.

@Arno Nel Sorry this is currently for S.Port telemetry only ,,However i do have plans to add support for your Rx module aswell as jeti's protocol and any other transmitters that support telemetry data and have the user pick what they want so you would just uncomment //Defined SPORT or //Defined JETI ect and upload away . may also look at this on the weekend i have had a quick look at the old frsky protocol and i think its also inverted serial and it has been done before so adding it will not hard at all. EDIT: Got some goggle-fu and found this https://github.com/vizual54/APM-Mavlink-to-FrSky looks like that should do what you want

Ok, brilliant, thanks Hector. Much appreciated.

Hello will this work with the TTL 3DRobotics 3DR Radio Telemetry Kit 433Mhz ie in parallel so you can run the  mission planer at the same time?

If so how would I do this?

BR

Andy

Hector,

I see that you have also looked at this previous github https://github.com/chsw/MavLink_FrSkySPort that transposed the original code to support the Teensy, and has began evolving and also includes telemetry scripts for the Taranis. 

I believe you could also add to the display on the radio side of the parameters.

In the meantime, sometime ago it was asked to the OpenTX devs about the possibility of adding generic telemetry fields that we (Mavlink telemetry) could use to send data we would see fit to other purposes. Perhaps we could ask again to the OpenTx devs if that would be possible?

brgds

luis

Hi 

When in parallel with other telemetry options like the 3DR Radio, the Teensy must have its TX wire disconnected.

Look back on the thread where other cases have been commented.

brgds

luis

hey mate yes and i seen your lua update great work there.

Opentx mavlink support would be great and i think they are working on something as i do remember reading something about a build -mavlink command on compile but havent spent more then 2 minutes reading about it yet so more research is needed but in theory i don't see why not at the very least as a quick hacky fix just edit the strings for the telemetry screen so ie "T1" would become "GPS" ect and maybe we can handle if its a float,char,int ect on the opentx side .

anything more could require custom firmware on the Rx as it is setup to request data from sensors with specific id's and that might be dealt with by the Rx , If its not then it can be done its just how much work.

Im keen to hear the OpenTX dev's thoughts on this matter 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service