Hi all,

I just bought an FrSky Taranis for my quad copter and needed to get the Mavlink data up on the Taranis LCD telemetry display. So here is my solution using a Teensy3.1 as a converter between MavLink and the S.Port on FrSky X8R.

See attached file below...

Views: 308645

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I initially figured that, but the changes that I made with an editor didn't work so I went Googling for a reason why. Clearly I have misinterpreted what I read on the main Lua site. Thanks.

Hi

The script does not respond to ArduPlane only Arducopter.

To make it work with Arduplane there are quite a few changes that would need to be done.

The flight Modes table for ArduPlane would be quite different (taken from Parameters.pde):

1:Manual,

2:CIRCLE,

3:STABILIZE,

4:TRAINING,

5:ACRO,

6:FBWA,

7:FBWB,

8:CRUISE,

9:AUTOTUNE,

10:Invalid Mode,

11:Auto,

12:RTL,

13:Loiter,

14:Invalid Mode,

15:Invalid Mode,

16:Guided,

So that would require changes to other parts of the script, like in Flight Tables section the FlightMode{} matrix

Also the voice files would be different.

Also I would have to revisit the sketches on the Teensy to check if any adjustments are needed there.

ok

You'll have to be a tester for a version of the script that is completely untested (except on the simulator) of the script changed for ArduPlane. 

Also added specific voice files for ArduPlane Flight Modes (files named AVPFM*.wav)

Good luck

Note: When I began this script I was only thinking of MultiCopters so the philosophy might not make much sense for Planes (my only glider is a very small and very hacked Robbe Arcus Airy 780 that has no room for "complex" electronics)

I've been out and tested this today using the lvale/MavLink_FrSkySPort branch. Evertyhing worked well, I especially love the battery monitoring part!

I may have set it up wrong but the way i wired it up was to tap the TX lead from the pixhawk which goes to the 433mhz telemetry radio but The telemetry doesnt send down to the taranis unless the 433 telemetry radio is connected to a ground station.

Have i done it wrong?

Not really, you just need to setup SR parameters in the full parameter list, I bet they all are 0-s. Set them up the same way as for the minimosd and all will be good. 

Sorry not really sure what you mean? I have Minimosd working on the other telemetry port.

I assume SR is serial rate? is this in the full parameters in mission planner? what should i change them to?

Thanks

Paul

About the battery monitoring part, please don't forget It is something highly experimental.

I tried to have better calculations made on the script, but had problems with script size and too many math operations :)

I also have the 433 radio but on its own port, my Teensy "shares" a port with the Bluetooth adapter.

Thanks for doing that so quickly. I have been trying to test this but have run into another issue. My 3DR radio link connected to an APM doesn't work with the Teensy plugged in to the GND and Teensy Tx port, as soon as I connect the teensy the radio telemetry stops, restarts as soon as I disconnect.

I did learn that the Flight mode voices seem to be one index number out of phase. EG when Stabilise Mode is selected the voice prompt says Circle Mode. When Manual mode is selected this appears flashing on the Taranis screen but the voice says nothing. I haven't got it to the point where I know what mode is in the FC yet.

Hi

Sorry, my bad. I messed the sounds naming. Please erase all the files named AVP*.wav and replace with the newer ones.

What appeared on the LCD is correct. If the name is flashing is because the vehicle is not armed.

The voices say which Flight Mode has been engaged (with the switches on the radio) and what Flight Mode is active on the Controller.

Ok understood about the battery monitoring 

The taranis was showing used mah as - 4206 and the mah put back in after charging was 4293. so its pretty close. Your script was showing 15% left and of a 5000mah battery thats ok

The T1 sends GPS status but it is not very useful in the way it combines satellites and fix status:

gps_status = (ap_sat_visible*10) + ap_fixtype;

It is not possible to create a custom switch to play a track when there is a 3D fix.

T1 > 43 would work but the problem is that for example 62 is also larger than 43 but without 3D fix.

I had the chance to fly this today. I loved to see the information on Taranis screen, thanks for making that happen.

Some (hopefully useful) feedback.

While the APM boots you get a continual voice prompt "guided mode active" maybe 20 times. Once everything has settled normal service is resumed.

When started the Distance to Home seems to default to 100m or so, you need to do a "reset telemetry" on Taranis to get it to zero.

Estimated Flight time says its calculating (flashing) but doesn't ever get an answer. I tried two different PMs , same outcome.

HDOP indicator cycles between it's true value (in this case 1.2) and 8.5 or so, flashing.

I didn't have a helper to check the in flight readings (speed, alt etc). Next time.

Once again. Thanks.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service