Hi all,

I just bought an FrSky Taranis for my quad copter and needed to get the Mavlink data up on the Taranis LCD telemetry display. So here is my solution using a Teensy3.1 as a converter between MavLink and the S.Port on FrSky X8R.

See attached file below...

Views: 307499

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This project looks great. I have done similar for my antenna tracker some time ago, though I used a Arduino Pro Mini for sending the data rather than a Tiny. The protocol looks very similar, except I only used an 8 bit ID.

Mavlink to FrSky source on Github

Regarding FSK, I have been doing it previously with external modem ic's, but recently managed to get a software only modem working...

Diy antenna FSK info on Diydrones

It would definitely be possible to use the same  technique to do the demodulation on an 8 bit AVR if you added an external filter rather than a digital one.

regards

Andy

For those interested, I found that this set of code from Christian Swahn worked. I actually took what worked from his code and then interested it into the original code in the FrSkySPort file.

case 8: // First 2 cells
if(ap_cell_count > 0) {
offset = 0x00 | ((ap_cell_count & 0xF) 4); // Addition after Taranis 2.0.6
temp=((ap_voltage_battery/(ap_cell_count * 2)) & 0xFFF);
FrSkySPort_SendPackage(FR_ID_CELLS,(temp 20) | (temp 8) | offset); // Battery cell 0,1
break;
}
case 9: // Optional 3 and 4 Cells
if(ap_cell_count > 2) {
//offset = ap_cell_count > 3 ? 0x02: 0x01; // Original Code before Taranis 2.0.6
offset = 0x02 | ((ap_cell_count & 0xF)4);
FrSkySPort_SendPackage(FR_ID_CELLS,(temp 20) | (temp 8) | offset); // Battery cell 2,3
}
break;
case 10: // Optional 5 and 6 Cells
if(ap_cell_count > 4) {
//offset = ap_cell_count > 5 ? 0x04: 0x03; // Original Code before Taranis 2.0.6
offset = 0x04 | ((ap_cell_count & 0xF)4);
FrSkySPort_SendPackage(FR_ID_CELLS,(temp 20) | (temp 8) | offset); // Battery cell 2,3
}
break;

I never had an issue with Vfas so I'm not sure why others had a problem but the code change above in the original was what finally fixed it for me. I'm running firmware v2.0.8 on the Taranis and it's just fine now.

I would suggest that all those interested on this project should/must check the GitHub that Christian Swahn kindly shared here:

https://github.com/chsw/MavLink_FrSkySPort/releases/tag/1.4

Also, as a complimentary suggestion if some are also building custom Lua telemetry scripts, and if Christian won't mind, could also share them on the above GitHub.

Feel free to issue a pull requests if you find bugs or improves the code.

I pushed the lua telemetry screen i'm working on here:

https://github.com/chsw/MavLink_FrSkySPort/tree/master/Lua_Telemetr...

This is, however, a work in progress so your results may vary...

Just tried to push some items now, but I'm not sure that GitHub on my Mac managed to push some additional sounds.

I haven't received any request. At least I think so, this is actually the first time I use git...

that makes two :)

I believe I've managed.....

Would you mind putting a mention to this project on RCGroups on the thread about Lua Scripting ?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2180477

This thing seems fantastic. So we can basically buy a Teensy3.1 and enjoy a telemetry link on the taranis directly from APM?

Is there a Pixhawk Teensy-less alternative?

Can anyone give me any insight as to what I am doing wrong here?

Arduino: 1.0.5-r2 (Windows 7), Board: "Teensy 3.1"
MavLink_FrSkySPort.ino: In function 'void setup()':
MavLink_FrSkySPort:121: error: 'FrSkySPort_Init' was not declared in this scope
MavLink_FrSkySPort.ino: In function 'void loop()':
MavLink_FrSkySPort:170: error: 'FrSkySPort_Process' was not declared in this scope

Well hard to tell u would have to get the Pixhawk to change the Telemetry output to what the X8R could understand! and then wire it correctly!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service