Andropilot - discussion for Android ground controller users/developers

Hi ya'll,

The thread on my blog post is getting a little unmanageable.  How about we discuss test results here instead...  

I'll also post release notes as new builds are out.  The device must support 'USB host mode' (most devices running android 3.1 or later are fine).  You'll need a 'OTG' adapter such as this

Please post feedback here or on the github issues site - the google play comments are not really useful yet.

Hi ya'll.  Please move further discussion of this app to a newly created group:

http://www.diydrones.com/groups/705844:Group:1132500?xg_source=msg_...

Feel free to make new approprately titled discussion threads.  

Future app releases will be announced only there.

Views: 55118

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

no coms with usb direct connect eitherEarl

Wish I had 4.2 ...cry...cry

Earl

And than the datastream would be slow or?
Will I need a device with 4.2 or wait?

Thanks for your awesome app :)

I go sleep, wake me up when new android update appear...
ZZzzz

Nah - it should be fine.   If you already have a device that doesn't have 4.2, I wouldn't stress about it - but it will be limited to a lower max # of mavlink packets per second.  In practice I think the low packet rate will be fine.

Let's wait until we get more feedback from others (and I go troll through the android source checkins to figure out exactly when this bug was 'fixed').  So far I'm guessing 4.2.

Cool, I will dream on that...

By the way, are there any Android simulators (> 4.2) for PC that support USB the same way??

There is a very accurate android simulator that runs on the PC (you can get it from developer.android.com).  However, the setup is kind of a hassle and it won't pass through USB.

Hey Kevin - pulling it down. I am on ICS 4.1 so I hope this works. I can check on others but all of my current androids are 4.1 ICS so that might be why they stopped working after .27...then....

If this is a minimum then I will have to upgrade to a new android as my current batch do not have 4.2 upgrades currently. I will let you know how it goes within the hour.

Kevin, I just confirmed 0.1.27 have data but have no data on 0.1.31

Earl

PS on 0.1.31 I can read boxes

Kevin,

Ran 1.31 on all my devices. Each one received NO COMMS. Airplane Red nothing in the Vehicle Overview of Status Message. Circle spinning in all other fields, param, rc channel etc...

My guess is this due to the 4.2 functions and pieces you are flexing. Let me know your thoughts. I have tested on copter-gcs and all is well with all of them, as well I tested on PC laptop with MP to make sure the modems are working properly.

The UI looks great though and the HUD and speech additions are AWESOME!

Cheers!

Peter

Hi Kevin,

I've been testing the 0.1.31 release, using the SITL sim. See the comments in Tools/autotest/sim_arduplane.sh for how to do this.

Thanks very much for the new features! It basically works. A few minor points:

• the number of syllables in speech notifications needs to be kept short. For example "height" is better than "altitude"
  • same goes for "fly by wire a" which really sounds strange when read out! I use "FBWA" in mavproxy
  • I'd suggest adding a "height announce rounding" config option, defaulting to 10m. Then round all announced altitudes to 10m, and only announce if the difference between the last announce the now is more than 10m (note this needs to be done carefully, ie. if last announce was "height 80" and it was at height 76 at the time, then don't do a new announcement at 74, instead announce if it goes to 86 or 66. Otherwise the announcements get very annoying if you are close to a boundary!
  • make heights either be the barometric height (GLOBAL_POSITION_INT.relative_alt*0.001) or use SRTM to give true above ground level height
  • can we get an option to disable the HUD? I don't usually want a HUD in the field - it looks cool, but there isn't actually much you can do with it! More useful would be to be able to graph arbitrary mavlink fields (or combinations of fields, in mavproxy you can graph python expressions)
  • we may need priorities in the speech. For example, I switched mode to LOITER while in AUTO and didn't hear a mode announce. I suspect it was overridden by a "altitude 711" announcement. I don't know if the android speech output has priorities? (I used a few different priority levels in mavproxy to avoid this)
  • there should probably be a "mute" button for when the speech starts getting on pilots nerves (you can use the volume rocker on the tablet, but its slow)
  • changing orientation gives a superfluous "speech enabled" announcement

But basically its looking good, thanks!

Cheers, Tridge

I agree, except about messing up the terminology. "height" is just wrong.

if you wish to shorten the msg, the best would be, where suitable; to replace "Altitude 50m" with "50m AGL" (or ASL)  - not only is that shorter, but gives more/ higher quality of information.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service