I hope this hasn't been covered already here.  I did some searching, but didn't turn anything up.

I have a gps track formatted in kml (and I could probably massage it into a variety of formats or restructure the kml if needed.)

Basically I would like to animate a long track of gps points. I want to see this from a mostly top down view of the whole area.  I want to start with a blank slate and then see the 2d points of the track appear one by one so that you can see the track build and develop.

I'm *not* interested in a "fly through" mode where I mimic the view from the vehicle.  I'm not interested in manually manipulating the view and recording it as a tour.

I'd like to automatically re-play my track, have it start from nothing, and see it grow and develop over time -- while watching it from a fixed top down view that will contain the entire track when it is finished.

I've googled around quite a bit, and I see information that seems to indicate this (or something similar) is possible in google earth.  But so far I haven't found the secret.  I found a "whale shark" example online that supposedly plots the movements of a tagged whale shark.  I can see the entire final path, but I can't get it to animate like the demo suggests it can.

Any tips for a google earth newbie?

For the particular case I'm immediately interested, we have a tracking buoy attached to some debris that has been floating around for a couple years in the north pacific.  If you want to take a peek at the data I have attached a kml file.  It contains roughly 2 position reports per day for the  last 3 years and the drift path is really fascinating.  I'd really love to make a movie of the motion and condense it down to maybe 30 seconds.  I know this isn't exactly UAV related, but it's part of the same project where we are building a UAV to help find the debris in the first place.  Here is a top down picture of the route.  Junk that's floating in the ocean really gets around!

Thanks!

Curt.

Views: 6823

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nobody replied so I had to puzzle through this myself. :-( I made a rough cut movie and posted to youtube:
hmmm. that kind of works I guess. I would approach it by making a script that would keep adding the points and serve it as a network link.

Hi Curt, would you mind explaining what you did? Can you post another sample file? Struggling with the same problem. Cheers, Chris

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service