It's so sad to see all your hard work fall from the sky like a rock.  This past Friday after work, I tried to fly my usually circle flight plan at a field next to my work.  Everything seem normal, I switched to ALT HOLD and then switched AUTO and off it flew to waypoint 1 at 20 meters right in front of me.  It had a 10 second delay, which it never finished.  I'm not sure yet what happened, but it just fell like a rock.  It landed upside down and damaged 3 arms and 3 motors, plus the stack on top broke all it's supports.  About $90 of parts, which I ordered Saturday.  And, I'm happy to report my order from 3DR has shipped tonight, I should see them Friday. I'm really happy they turned my order around so fast.  Brownie points to 3DR and staff.

Now can someone give me some pointers on what I should look for and test to see why my copter failed?  I really don't want to fly again until I figure out what went wrong.  Last week I had tuned my gimbal thinking it was causing power problems and some weird twitching and 1 minor crash. I recently just added 3DR power module and pulled JP1, hoping this might help with power issues.  I had 2 successful flights and now this crash.  I also have a 5 amp BEC plugged into the output side of APM, plus 3DR PM.

I'm sorry to say the GoPro failed to capture the last few seconds of the flight.  Bummer, the last time I had a brownout the GoPro showed a great tumble to the ground.

I've attached my tlog, kmz and log files for review.

Firmware is 2.8.1.

Recently balanced props and mounted APM on foam corners.  I was just about to upgrade to 2.9.1. :-(

Thanks for the support.

Richard

Views: 3328

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The BEC needs to be connected to the battery in Richards Options.
Solder to main plugs on PDB, which is the main line in from the battery.

As promised here is an updated picture of how I powered my camera gimbal.  Notice the extra GRD off ESC Outputs. Thanks to TCIII for his help.

thanks. great picture. Should to be found on the wiki.

Richard,

Thanks for the excellent diagram.  Please educate me why the GND to the ESC instead of the PDB?  Does it matter which ESC you go too? 

Since JP1 is removed, we need to keep a common ground.

Richard,

I am about to set-up my system and still have a question about the ground to the ESC.  Does it matter which ESC you attach too?  With all of the ESC connected to the PDB can you simply connect the ground to the "GND" off the PDB?  Finally (sorry for so many questions), why do you need to remove the JP1?

Jason

If you pull the ESC ground from the PDB, then all the ESC have a common ground. The JP1 needs to be removed if you are using the 3DR power module. The JP1 isolates the output pins from the rest of the APM.

Fix the wiring to the correct output pins, first.

Can you explain what you mean about fixing the output pin?
The roll gimbal servo signal wire looks like it is connected to the GND pin.

@Bill,

I think that line just indicates which servo output position the roll gimbal is attached to.

Regards,

TCIII

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service