APM 2.0 - Triple Core?

I wish I was here back in the beginning (what a great project).  As I jump in with my purchase of an APM 2.0, I am spending a lot of time reading to educate myself while waiting for the backorder to arrive.  In the release notes for the APM 2.0, it said, "Three processors -- a triple-core autopilot!"

I am looking at the Eagle Files schematic.  I find an ATMEGA1280-16AU and an ATMEGA8U2-MU.  I assume that is two of the three cores.  What/where is the third?

The release notes, under Main Features, also states that the MPU-6000 frees up more than half of the processing capacity of the ATMEGA2560.  I don't see the 2560 on the schematic.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• So the ATmega8U2 appears to handle the USB connection, the MPU-6000 isn't used yet, therefore everything is on the 2560 which makes it a single core (waiting for the 6000 as the 2nd core).  It the 8U2 doing something else that we can really give it any credit for?

I am not trying to knock it, I am just trying to understand.  This is an awesome product.

• 3D Robotics

It's the DMP processor in the MPU-6000. The current code doesn't use it yet but it will (pending permission from Invensense to release our code as open source).

The board uses a ATMEGA2560, not a 1280. But they use the same footprint, which is why it shows up that way on the Eagle file. 

This reply was deleted.

Activity