APM 2.5 Connects to computer but doesn't connect to mission planner

Hi I'm using Mission Planner 1.2.10 with MavLink 10, I hook up my board and can't connect. I'm selecting the correct com and baud rate (115k). When I go to my device manager it does show up as Arduino Mega 2560. When I switch the tab to the firmware tab on Mission Planner and try to upload the arduplane firmware I get an error saying "Can't detect APM version. Please check your cabling."

Any ideas??????????????????

Views: 8431

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Vitaly same problem  may lets pass that info to the CEO chris Anderson...he seems to think that I connected something wrong  which i did not....

reload the bootloader   HOW DO YOU DO THAT  ??????

Steps for uploading the bootloader are in the Wiki, I don't recommend you do this unless your pretty familiar with how your board works.

You mention above that you blew a diode, this is indicative that you mightve connected something incorrectly, possibly over voltage or reverse polarity, never the less, if a diode is blown and you're certain, this must be, if it can be, fixed before doing anything to the software. The software won't work if the hardware doesn't work.

Good luck.

Hi Vital,

Thank you for contacting 3D Robotics Technical Support. Sorry to hear about the damage. Unfortunately when the D4 diode is blown, this typically indicates that the APM was powered incorrectly. Unfortunately, it seems that many components on the board may be damaged if the APM can no longer detect the GPS or connect to the Mission Planner, and the compass (L883 2033 chip) has been burned too. Sorry for the inconvenience as we cannot offer to receive the APM as our warranty does not cover damaged goods.

Please check the way you are powering the board, and please see this page on how to power the APM board for reference: http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/APM25board_Overview

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Regards,
Carmen
3D Robotics

I did not power the board incorrectly as the plugs used on the lippo are keyed so this is not possible
the ESC and the motor as well as the receiver WORKED fine until I connect disconnect the lippo battery to synch the ESC
the board armed and disarmed correctly ALL WORKED FINE so your theory and answer is incorrect.
NOW UNDERSTAND CLEARLY THAT THE REASON I AM TAKING THIS WITH UP WITH YOU IS THAT THE BOARD HAS DEFINITIVELY A WEAK POINT TO TRANSIENT/SPIKES. TO REPLACE THE BOARD IS NOT A PROBLEM I CAN AFFORD IT. BUT AS AN ELECTRONIC DESIGNER MYSELF ..SORRY I AM STILL OLD FASHION 62 ! I AM NOT FLUENT WITH SURFACE MOUNTS CHIPS ETC BUT I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE AS I MAINTAINED SCADA INDUSTRIAL SYSTEMS THAT MOST NEW ELECTRONIC CIRCUITS BECAUSE OF THE LOW VOLTAGE OF SUPPLY HAS PROBLEMS WITH THE QUALITY OF THE PSU WITH SPIKES, TRANSIENT AND ALSO LIGHTNING (plenty here). So I am trying to provide you with positive feedback, i do not want others DIY members/users to have the same problem.
THE BOARD BLEW DIODE D4 BECAUSE D4 WAS NOT SUFFICIENT TO STOP A TRANSIENTS CREATED DURING THE CALIBRATION PROCESS OF THE ESC. IF SO PLEASE ADVISE IN YOUR SETUP PROCEDURE WIKI/BLOG THAT THE APM SHOULD BE DISCONNECTED TO ENABLE ESC CALIBRATION (THROTTLE VALUE) AND SYNCH (FROM APM AS I UNDERSTAND IT).
PLEASE LET ME WHAT YOU ADVICE AS A CALIBRATION PROCEDURE TO GET THE ESC IN SYNCH WITH THROTTLE .
I MISS A POINT HERE AND MAY NOT UNDERSTAND PROPERLY THIS PROCEDURE.

V VAN DE DRONKER

It loaded the code well, and connected in the first attempt, not second or third attempts... weird. Same thing on fourth attempt.

I think this board is dead honestly. Will try just a physical cleanup with some alcohol as someone recommended, but I doubt it...

hi you have the same problem as me....all 3Drobotic says ..is that I connected the board wrong  which is a lot of bull....

I DID NOT   so I want to know did you connect it wrong as well ????  its easy to blame others !!!

I  believe that the board is week for spikes and transients..what i mean is that connecting and reconnecting the lippo can produce heavy spikes ..in fact you can see a spark on the conector when you connect the lippo to power up the ESC;'s

they should have suggested a separate 5v  PSU.

Perhaps you did like me ,..Did you try also to synch the ESC ..connecting,,disconnecting a few time the lippo battery as it is described in one of the set wiki???  if so let me know because that will prove my theory. I believe they know about this because the v 2 board was giving those problems and in the design of the new 2.5 took care of that by adding additional protection ...

and NOW they offer an optional PSU  unit. Please have a look at your board with a magnifying glass and check diode D4 its just left to the reset button just above the plug IC2  ...you may see a very small pin hole...let me know.

Vitaly, sorry to hear that the board got fried. We've got many thousands of APM 2.5s out there and I only know of three that have been fried (we don't know the circumstances of each, but typically it's due to some error in powering of the sort that would fry any electronics), so I don't think there's a widespread issue. As you know, APM 2.5 was specifically designed with new power protection circuitry to avoid just this issue, which was more likely with the older APM 2.0. And we're now including the power module to take the chance of power wiring mistakes out entirely. 

If you can PM me, I'll send you a code for a discounted APM 2.5 replacement, with the new power module. 

Thanks Chris for you help and offer. I still maintain nothing went wrong with the supply  all connectors are soldered and keyed so one cannot have a reversed or wrong connection  . The board did work as well as all the ESC's so no wrongs here too ! . Only after connecting &  disconnecting the lippo several times as per instruction did I noticed quite a powerful spike at the connector as they are not always that easy to plug in each other.   (one pin is vertical the other is horizontal)

I still believe that those spike/transients damaged the board and after reading in Arducopter the ESC (all at once) calibration I would warned users to be cautious . I believe a separate 5v supply would avoid those transients. I will get another board but will provide a separate 5v to it. 

my PM is vvdd@mweb.co.za  Can I pass that discount code to our local supplier ?? Jared.

Actually I don't even use and ESC, I'm running a 2 stroke engine. My failure happened just by connecting my board to the computer, it just didn't work. I was going to make sure I had the correct data types enabled to collect the telemetry data I needed, and I was just never able to do it because it never connected to Mission Planner. 

Hi Guys,

I have been trolling , uhm i mean surfing the web regarding this matter that looks to be the same issue as yours. Until 5 mins ago, I thought it was mission planner or the 3 boards that all showed gibberish in the terminal screen in mission planner. Mavlink connection was ok but sometimes compas issue would come up.

Anyway, I dont know how, but my system (windows 8.1) changed my port setting for my APM's tp 9600 . When I change it back to 11500, all was good again.

Changed all my firmwares that I wanted and life seems good again.

Note, when I go back into the port settings of my apm when connected, it reverts back to 9600. Maybe some IT guru can advise why?

Hope it helps.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service