Hi I'm using Mission Planner 1.2.10 with MavLink 10, I hook up my board and can't connect. I'm selecting the correct com and baud rate (115k). When I go to my device manager it does show up as Arduino Mega 2560. When I switch the tab to the firmware tab on Mission Planner and try to upload the arduplane firmware I get an error saying "Can't detect APM version. Please check your cabling."

Any ideas??????????????????

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Guys,

I have been trolling , uhm i mean surfing the web regarding this matter that looks to be the same issue as yours. Until 5 mins ago, I thought it was mission planner or the 3 boards that all showed gibberish in the terminal screen in mission planner. Mavlink connection was ok but sometimes compas issue would come up.

Anyway, I dont know how, but my system (windows 8.1) changed my port setting for my APM's tp 9600 . When I change it back to 11500, all was good again.

Changed all my firmwares that I wanted and life seems good again.

Note, when I go back into the port settings of my apm when connected, it reverts back to 9600. Maybe some IT guru can advise why?

Hope it helps.

• hi you have the same problem as me....all 3Drobotic says ..is that I connected the board wrong  which is a lot of bull....

I DID NOT   so I want to know did you connect it wrong as well ????  its easy to blame others !!!

I  believe that the board is week for spikes and transients..what i mean is that connecting and reconnecting the lippo can produce heavy spikes ..in fact you can see a spark on the conector when you connect the lippo to power up the ESC;'s

they should have suggested a separate 5v  PSU.

Perhaps you did like me ,..Did you try also to synch the ESC ..connecting,,disconnecting a few time the lippo battery as it is described in one of the set wiki???  if so let me know because that will prove my theory. I believe they know about this because the v 2 board was giving those problems and in the design of the new 2.5 took care of that by adding additional protection ...

and NOW they offer an optional PSU  unit. Please have a look at your board with a magnifying glass and check diode D4 its just left to the reset button just above the plug IC2  ...you may see a very small pin hole...let me know.

• Hi Vital,

Thank you for contacting 3D Robotics Technical Support. Sorry to hear about the damage. Unfortunately when the D4 diode is blown, this typically indicates that the APM was powered incorrectly. Unfortunately, it seems that many components on the board may be damaged if the APM can no longer detect the GPS or connect to the Mission Planner, and the compass (L883 2033 chip) has been burned too. Sorry for the inconvenience as we cannot offer to receive the APM as our warranty does not cover damaged goods.

Please check the way you are powering the board, and please see this page on how to power the APM board for reference: http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/APM25board_Overview

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Regards,
    Carmen
    3D Robotics

I did not power the board incorrectly as the plugs used on the lippo are keyed so this is not possible
    the ESC and the motor as well as the receiver WORKED fine until I connect disconnect the lippo battery to synch the ESC
    the board armed and disarmed correctly ALL WORKED FINE so your theory and answer is incorrect.
    NOW UNDERSTAND CLEARLY THAT THE REASON I AM TAKING THIS WITH UP WITH YOU IS THAT THE BOARD HAS DEFINITIVELY A WEAK POINT TO TRANSIENT/SPIKES. TO REPLACE THE BOARD IS NOT A PROBLEM I CAN AFFORD IT. BUT AS AN ELECTRONIC DESIGNER MYSELF ..SORRY I AM STILL OLD FASHION 62 ! I AM NOT FLUENT WITH SURFACE MOUNTS CHIPS ETC BUT I KNOW FROM EXPERIENCE AS I MAINTAINED SCADA INDUSTRIAL SYSTEMS THAT MOST NEW ELECTRONIC CIRCUITS BECAUSE OF THE LOW VOLTAGE OF SUPPLY HAS PROBLEMS WITH THE QUALITY OF THE PSU WITH SPIKES, TRANSIENT AND ALSO LIGHTNING (plenty here). So I am trying to provide you with positive feedback, i do not want others DIY members/users to have the same problem.
    THE BOARD BLEW DIODE D4 BECAUSE D4 WAS NOT SUFFICIENT TO STOP A TRANSIENTS CREATED DURING THE CALIBRATION PROCESS OF THE ESC. IF SO PLEASE ADVISE IN YOUR SETUP PROCEDURE WIKI/BLOG THAT THE APM SHOULD BE DISCONNECTED TO ENABLE ESC CALIBRATION (THROTTLE VALUE) AND SYNCH (FROM APM AS I UNDERSTAND IT).
    PLEASE LET ME WHAT YOU ADVICE AS A CALIBRATION PROCEDURE TO GET THE ESC IN SYNCH WITH THROTTLE .
    I MISS A POINT HERE AND MAY NOT UNDERSTAND PROPERLY THIS PROCEDURE.

V VAN DE DRONKER
  • YEPN I GET THE SAMR AS WELL SINCE I CALIBRATED THE ESC CANNOT CONNECT TO THE APM TO RECALIBRATE RADIO
    TIMES OUT NO HEATBEAT RECEIVED I USE 1.2.2 latest version re installed wipe all out about 4 time tried various version SAME

is the board F..... yet all led are ok tried to reset hardware but not sure if it is correct just to press the button on power up ??? there could be a trick.....
    looks like board is locked in firmware ant suggestion before I burn the full thing.!!!!
  • Check your solders.  I had this exact same error and went back and double checked solders and noticed that I had missed one.  I fixed this and reconnected.  Everything worked fine and I was able to download the firmware.

• I'm having exactly the same problem with a APM2.0 that was working fine. Now it doesn't connects, checked all just like Julio did, and same problem. I didn't do any changes, it was working fine and now ???.

Any help would be really appreciated.

• Julio,

The good news is your computer at least sees the connection. Is this APM2.0 or APM2.5? (should function the same but..)

I would try other COM connections as indicated below...

3692538291?profile=original

The extreme possiblity is a loss of boot loader in the APM but...not likely. When you connect the USB cable, do leds on the APM light up? If so, the base code of the APM is probably fine. This implies the boot loader is probably fine.

-=Doug

This reply was deleted.

Activity