APM 2.5 only boot via USB

Hi my APM 2.5 arrived today and I have just fitted to a new build frame, loaded new 2.7.3 and all running fine with the usb but when I try and power the board from the esc's I get the blue light flash 2 times then amber once then nothing.

If i connect the usb to the board with the battery connected all is ok and the board boot's up and then I can arm.

If i then unplug the usb with the battery still attached it remains in boot mod and I can arm.

there is a jumper on J1 I have checked and the board was fully assembled one

can some one please assist in this problem

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• My APM 2.5 boots with USB, but not with LiPo. I measure 5.03 volt from the ESC, and 0,77 volt on the input rail.

If you ask me if there is a possibility that I have shorted something, the answer is yes, thats is possible, but not that I'm aware of. Any suggestions on what is happening to this board? I have a lot of APM 2.0, 2.5, 2.6, but this is the only one that does this.

• Hey, hope everyone has sorted this power issue by now,

I got it working having previously experienced the same issue.

I had to do the following:

With USB power only and JP1 OFF

1x : reset

1x : erase

1x: upload new firmware

1x: Radio calibration

Then:

With: JP1 OFF

USB : OFF

Power:

Input: UBEC (5V) from main battery

Output: "4.8"V battery (standard NiMH receiver battery)

Stable and works like a dream. PID worked on my custom airframe fine first time, (although i I be adjusting them for next flight)

Amazing stuff

• 3692540874?profile=original

• Hi, first time post on here, I too have been having the same boot load problems and have tried everything separate BEC at different voltages, jumper J1 on and off etc. to no avail but last night I fitted a Ardupilot 3DR Radio Telemetry Kit 433Mhz and since fitting this my board boots every time without fail.

Out of interest has anyone else got the 3DR radio fitted and is still having problems with booting up?

• The best bet to avoid this is to utilize a battery just for APM, I have encountered this in my quads as well in-flight on my aircraft. ESC Becs IMHO do not handle maintaining voltage well, they spike and sag and when they sag enough which they always do - the APM reboots or browns-out. Simply get 2 - 3.3v A123 batteries - solder them up in series - connect to a BEC or old ESC that you are not using, obviously remove the Jumper on the APM so you can power each rail side independently and you will have enough APM power for a whole afternoon of flying, unless weight is a concern. No brown outs, not voltage drops which will cause your issues. Just my 2 cents.....

• OK, still puzzled. I got my board back Friday along with a SDR ArduCopter Hexa-B Frame and motors kit which included the ESC's. I put it together Friday and Saturday and set it up. Still the same problem. It will not boot all the time. Most of the time it boots indoors in my work area on the second floor (99.9%) of the time. I take it out into the yard and it will not boot 99% of the time. Once in a while it will boot up properly outdoors. So, to get things started. I made up some leads for the input and output of the board.

Hooked up to USB only - In 4.68v  Out 0v

Booted up on battery properly - In 4.68v  Out 5.01v

NOT booting up properly on battery  - In 4.69v   Out 5.01v

It appears that there is no difference in the voltages when it works and when it doesn't. I will get my oscilloscope out on Monday and see if I see anything different. It just doesn't make sense. Could it be the humidity? We do have a very high humidity in Florida outdoors and it is when I bring it in from being outdoors that it does not work indoors. Is there a time period that should be observed when changing climates.

When I was doing the voltage checks, it booted fine indoors, Took it outdoors quickly and it booted up fine twice. The third time it did not boot up properly for the next five times.

Still up for suggestions.

Craig, I will videotape everything or skype, whatever might help. Let me know.

• If substandard ESC:s are to blame how come I have the same no-boot-problem using standard ESC:s supplied by 3DR in my recent hex kit? (It boots when the feed from ESC is connected to the input side)

/RS

Boards that are failing to boot- Please post photos of your complete wiring setup. Thanks.

• What`s about a start-up spike. Maybe the usb-sources have a higher protection than esc/bsc and a higher start current kills/errors the boot-part? Just an idea.

This reply was deleted.

Activity