APM 2.6 poor compass health error?

hey guys this is my third apm 2.6 board. the others worked fine but trying to set this on up and i keep getting a poor compass health message and it will not calibrate. i've sent an email into customer support as i suspect a bad ublox gps/compass unit but if anyone has any ideas for things i can try in the meantime them please let me know.

thanks,

k.t.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• hi

i just upgraded my old frame to a bigger frame and also the battery for my quadcopter. Still exactly thesame setup. But this time around my compass wont collect data. My compass is on but cant move on the screen to get data as a result i have Bad Compass Health. Please anyone had this issue before? Any solutions are welcome.

• I have same thing....and on the regulator and i2c port I have 3.3volt so....isn't a problem of regulator and I have "bad Health compass" alert!!!

• Over the past 6 months with this Autopilot, I've learned a lot. Much of my problems were of my own making. As anyone working with this system and the Pixhawk can attest, their are a lot of moving parts.

In some cases one may need to start fresh. This means resetting the system. This is not done with the on board button. You must go into the editing mode. Instructions are on the web.

Also, do not forget calibrating the ESCs
      parts.in - This website is for sale! - parts Resources and Information.
      This website is for sale! parts.in is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what y…
  • I had the same issue.. at first i thought it was faulty... to later find out that I had a loose wire.

double/triple check... before you RMA ;-)

• I had similar problem and one of the compass wire was cut, but it had a red led and power that come from the gps wire.

• The problem is your board has a blow 3.3 regulator. With arducopter 3.1(sorry i cant recall which rc), the devs increased the bus speed that is used to communicate with the compass. At higher speeds with blown reg the compass sometimes gives crazy samples. On startup the APM checks these samples and if it sees these strange readings it gives the error you mention. I myself have a few APM and so far only 1 has a blow 3.3v.

If you do a search for "3.1" you will fine a post with lots of discussion with this problem. The other option is to switch back to 3.0. Apparently there is a fix coming out that drops back to the slower speed if it detects crazy readings because of blown 3.3v regulator.

YOu can verify this by taking reads of the + and - lines going to the compass using a multimeter.

• well i assumed the gps/compass was bad and sent that back and kept the apm board. replacement gps/compass gave me the same bad compass health error.   so now i'm sending the main board back. bummer. but my other two apm aircraft are flying great. this third board for me is probably going to be my first ardu plane setup. should be fun! customer service has been great dealing with this by the way!

kt

• I have "bad gps - health" on calibration. I switched to a known good GPS with no improvement. The "bad gps" works fine on the good quad.

So far, no solution. Service ask me to check regulator voltage and it was fine.

Waiting on service to comment - FB

This reply was deleted.

Activity