I think my GPS is not working right with my APM. When it is connected to 10 (yes, TEN) satellites and connected to my computer it says it's moving around a lot when it isn't. When I took it for a flight the first time I put it into loiter mode. This is what happened: https://youtu.be/oC3Q6Y9aE7c. Not very successful, as the loiter moves aggressively to the left before I corrected it. Later that flight, it got to low battery and tried to RTL, ramming into stuff on the way before finally catching its leg on the deck and flipping upside down, motors still attempting to spin. I have the compass set to apm 2.5 with external compass because it's the closest available option to what I have, even though it isn't quite the same thing (it's on rotation roll 180.) I also noticed that when I turn it, even on rotation roll 180 it points north and south correctly but ne = nw, e = w, se = sw. In my most recent flight, I tried to just fly it normally and do about the same thing as I did in the video. It triggered a failsafe, even though my transmitter was close to the drone, on, well connected, and the battery had a full charge. Instead of going down and cutting power, the drone went up and cut power, leading to a snapped GPS mount. I am currently working on fixing that mount. I did all the necessary calibrations that mission planner had me do in the "wizard." Do you guys have ideas as to what else I can do, or should I try to return this item? Here is the log for that most recent flight:


Log File C:\Users\Matthew Moore\AppData\Local\Temp\tmpADCC.tmp.log
Size (kb) 92.5341796875
No of lines 1562
Duration 2 days, 21:42:46
Vehicletype ArduCopter
Firmware Version V3.2.1
Firmware Hash 36b405fb
Hardware Type 
Free Mem 0
Skipped Lines 0

Test: Autotune = NA - 
Test: Balance/Twist = NA - 
Test: Brownout = GOOD - 
Test: Compass = GOOD - No MAG data, unable to test mag_field interference

Test: Dupe Log Data = GOOD - 
Test: Empty = GOOD - 
Test: Event/Failsafe = FAIL - ERRs found: FLT_MODE GPS 
Test: GPS = FAIL - Min satellites: 0, Max HDop: 2.31
Test: IMU Mismatch = UNKNOWN - No IMU log data
Test: Parameters = GOOD - 
Test: PM = NA - 
Test: Pitch/Roll = NA - 
Test: Thrust = NA - 
Test: VCC = GOOD -

Views: 326

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

From your description it sounds like the GPS receiver is healthy enough but your compass may be having issues. I understand that you've performed a compass calibration but it sounds like [compass] miscalibration still may be an issue.

Have you done a full compass mot?  I would start there first:

https://youtu.be/0vZoPZjqMI4

If the returned values are high then you should consider extending your GPS/compass module higher above the frame to reduce interference. Another possibility (rare) is the compass needs to be degaussed. I've run into that once and cleared it using a powerful permanent magnet.

As an aside, when performing a compass calibration it's good practice to do so outdoors if possible (or at least as far from electromagnetic sources like computers and transformers as possible.)

While the LEA-6M units were very good when new I eventually replaced mine with the newer NEO-M8N modules. They're inexpensive and in my experience they perform better than the LEA-6M.

Good luck!

Thanks, I will try that. I already did a compass motor calibration, but not how the guy did it in the video so I'll do it again. Unfortunately, my GPS mast isn't very tall and the cable not very long...

I got it working! Thank you for your help. The compass motor calibration helped a lot.

YAY!!!  Congrats! 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service