APM 3.1-rc4 yaw PID tuning

Guys,

I need some help in setting up yaw PID's. My TBS Discovery with APM2.6 has a poor yaw performance. It seems not very locked and what is most annoying it is slowly oscillating which is most visible in onboard video footage.

To get to the root of the problem I did some log analysis and found that actual_yaw is indeed tracking nav_yaw but leaves some +-3 degrees slow oscillations. Please have a look at this log screen and my current PID's. Any ideas where to start or how to systematically set up the yaw PID's?

Thanks,

Michael

3691071260?profile=original

3691071380?profile=original

tailwag.jpg

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thank god, I found this thread at last  - it means I'm not alone :-)

I too have yaw issues on my camera hex that seems to be the same as guys are having here. It's good to see that you can really ramp up the rates and stab without making it unflyable!

Did you eventually get a setup you were happy with?

My video sample - you can see the yaw problem occurs at all speeds, from loiter to fast forward. Fast forward to 00:30 and you can see it.

• Hi everyone, I'm desperately trying to understand yaw tuning as well. I have a QAV400 with a gimbal and it flies great except for the yaw issues:

1) It tends to want to go straight (which is nice) UNTIL I want to make a very gradual, wide turn. Then it seems to resist my stick input until I've given it a little too much stick and it starts to turn more than I want. This results in me having to correct.

2) If I try to do a REASONABLY tight turn while keeping a forward speed, my quad starts to do the turn but then "spins out" and does a 180. I'm using stabilize or alt-hold modes.

• Developer

Hi Robert, I would be interested in seeing a log of a flight showing a string of these problems.

• Hi again,

Here's an edit showing 5 different turns where my QAV400 "spins out" like a car going around a turn too fast. I'm posting this in case anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

After finding this thread, I started experimenting with my yaw PIDs. Here are the settings that I'm currently using:

3702772939?profile=original

I'm posting all details from my build and tuning here:
          http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?33317-Rob215-s-QAV400-Build
          • Developer
            Hi Robert, I have been working on a similar problem all day. I would like to see if this is the same problem you are facing. Do you have some logs I can look at.

The first thing I would do is increase your IMax terms to 1000 and see if that fixes the problem.
            • I just installed Arducopter 3.2 and I noticed that I cannot set the Yaw IMAX greater than 327. Still, I went out and did a couple of flights and I did not have any "spin outs" even when turning at high speed. Here are the current settings:

3702874602?profile=original

• Those YAW-PIDs are really good! I've applied those on my TBS Disco and they work flawless.

Thanks for sharing.

Best regards

• How did you guys exceed the limits? I would like to try an higher P than 0.250 but there is no chance to do it....

• I don't know  why in the main page you can't exceed 0.250 but I found you can use the value you want without limits in the "Full Parameter List".

• Massimo Tabai have you figured it out why we can't put a value in past 0.250?

This reply was deleted.

Activity