Hello,

I recently built a skyhunter and transplanted my APM electronics to it from another airframe that has since been retired (due to a crash).

I've had the skyhunter up in the air a few times now and am concerned that the APM sensors may be damaged. When I'm flying in FBWA everything seems correct, then after some time it feels like I am able to turn further left than right. Additionally now when I fly "Bad Compass Health" flashes on the screen often. Should this worry me? I haven't seen it before.

I do not currently have any video transmission equipment on the plane, flying only with the APM and RC receiver. 

As the title indicates the airframe also seems to ignore my target altitudes or follows them very loosely compared to what it had done about a year ago when I stopped flying the last plane. I've attached my tlog file if anyone wants to take a look.

I also performed an accelerometer calibration, compass calibration, and airspeed calibration before tuning my PID's. Following the accelerometer calibration (3-axis) the HUD in MP showed up 100% inverted. After a half minute it rotated around to the correct orientation but it had me worried.

I have flown the plane in loiter and guided for a few minutes (as seen in the tlog) without problems but I end up switching to manual each time to "catch" the plane when it appears the autopilot is losing its grasp on what I expect it to be doing. Either the altitude drops a few hundred feet from where I want it to be (gradually) or it slows to the point that it tip stalls and starts to spiral.

At this point I want to determine if there is something wrong with my software setup or if I have damaged my hardware in a crash and need to purchase new before risking this plane and the other components in future flights.

Thanks for any input.

Zach

2013-10-16%2017-38-16.tlog

2013-10-16%2017-58-21.tlog

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I broke down and ordered a new APM yesterday. Worst case I'll have two now and can automate another plane but I am suspecting a hardware problem based on the nature of the plane. I flew it again yesterday and experienced the same problems, lethargic flying in FBW-A, better turning one direction than another, and bad compass health. 

I also removed all the magnets from my airframe and installed ferrite rings on my servo leads. Still exhibits same problems. Am I wasting money on more hardware I don't need?

This reply was deleted.

Activity