APM in a 250

The crazy man in me is trying to stuff an APM into a cheapie HK250GT as a method to waste an inordinate amount of time. (and likely also money)

It is a great lesson in weight reduction and miniaturization with many more lessons to be learned - probably the hard way.

I'm especially proud of the combination APM and TFR4B using a single CPPM signal. This will get glued into the chassis with a couple of dobs if silicone at a point slightly before it makes good sense to do so.

A lot of wiring, balancing, fiddling and cursing to go. I need to figure out how to configure Arducopter for traditional heli mode as it allows you to select the codebase but doesn't offer me trad heli under the hardware config menu. Any clues...?

3691091415?profile=original

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

3692925443?profile=originalI've attempted this in the past but I just made a really big mounting area between the body and landing gear.  I never successfully flew it though and the code was not as solid back then (it was 2 years ago).

• Xin - good question.  I will be mounting (glueing) the APM on with two silicone blobs but it will be sucking and seeing.  I know that helicopters are devices for turning vibration into flight, but I will try to balance everything as best I can too.

Stu, I did download the trad heli firmware, but when I go into hardware config in mission planner, it still gives me options for what form of quadcopter I am running.  Odd!  Should I just ignore this setting?

Rob, I did consider a PX4, but the learning curve is too steep for now - I struggle enough keeping up with APM code whenever I return to it.

• But how about the damping on APM? Will it still work fine under such vibration?

• Its not a firmware mode as such, rather a specific firmware for traditional heli, quad, hex, Y6 etc each with an individual firmware that needs to be loaded onto the APM.

So if this APM has been used with a quad for example, it needs a different firmware. Loaded using mission planner.

Stu

• Wow that thing is small.  A PX4 FMU without the IO board would make a lot of sense for that thing, if only the code supported that option.

I'm not sure about your question on the configuration?

• More photos in my album - http://www.diydrones.com/photo/albums/apm-into-hk250gt
This reply was deleted.

Activity