APM PPM encoder problem

I have run into some problems with the PPM encoder on my APM. The trouble begun when iinstalled the APM in my Twinstar II.

After installation i could not switch autopilot modes reliable and afterinstallation of all servos i the yellow LED started to flash randomly and theservos started to move by themselves. For brief periods it worked but as soonas i started to move the servos the problems got worse.

First i suspected the long servo leads and dual ESCs so i installed ferriterings on all servo leads. I also did some test flights without the APM withoutany glitches.

As soon as i added the APM to the equation the trouble was back. When i triedto connect servos directly to the APM it seemed to work better so i stillsuspected the long servo leads. Next thing to test was to add opto isolators onthe servo signal cables. This made no difference…

I have also tested with different power sources and different receivers without any betterresult.

As a last test I decided to try to upgrade the PPM software. I downloaded the Trunk andbuilt it. Downloading to the 328 worked, but the result is that I have nocontrol over the Decoder. It is stuck in AP control and. All three LED’s arelit regardless of what I do.

I’m running out of ideas. Can someone point me in any new direction?

One question is, what revision of the PPM  encoderis the best to use. What version is pre installed in the latest APM’s?

Best regards

Magnus

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi have the same problem.
    Have the APM 1.4 with version 2.9.1, the encoder with the version 0.9. 87
    The Fuse bits I've also checked. These are OK.

I raise the throttle stick, the blue LED flashes faster.
    But in the terminal I get no feedback at:
    - Calibration
    - Test radio
    - PWM test

the artificial horizon responds in the mission planner.

Does anyone know where the error is?

regards Bongo

• is that not the way, but I wanted to see and I can not find solution: in the apm 1.4 load new V2.3.0 ArduPPM ATMega328p.hex ppm encoder. all loads fine but the blue LED blinks fast, and no radio signal. working correctly before loading the new ppm. ppm loading the old solid blue LED and no radio signal. some solution
    Thank you.

• Why can't i read the manual before doing things... Ok upgrading the PPM encoder (the correct way... ) seems to have done the trick. I will install everything again and do some tests later. I'll be back!

/M
  • 3D Robotics
    Magus,

You can't just load the firmware--you also need to set the fuses right. Please use the batch file as instructed in the manual.
  • The proper version of PPM encoder is this one
    http://ardupilot-mega.googlecode.com/files/PPM_encoder.zip
    I am not sure which parameters are in this but it is known to work.
This reply was deleted.

Activity