APM Simulation using Flight gear???

Hello,

So Im ready to run a full hardware in the loop simulation to test my APM, however the APM manual only talks about how to set up a simulation in X-Plane 9, but the planner Dose support Flightgear?

Can anyone help me set up my APM for a flight gear simulation and dose it work the same way X-plane 9 dose?

I would just get X-plane 9...But my laptop only has a 1.6Gz processor and you need like a 1.9 or 2.0Gz for X-planes to even run... =[

Thank you for any help you can give me!

Anthony

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I would like to know if anybody has FG working with MP  for arducopter mode in HIL  using the lattest versions of both MP and FG.

thanks in advance for your help

gustavo

• Hello Guys. can someone help me out. I am not able to find enough resources on the net. Basically i am trying to setup HIL with apm 2.5 arduplane and flightgear. Till now i am able to lauch rascal model in flightgear. mission planner is able to communicate with radio inputs as i can see on mission planner. I am also able to see aircraft parameters on mission planner however i am not able control the aircraft either in manual mode or auto. What is the missing link I am thinking it could be due to mission planner not able to command the flightgear. How can i debug this part.

Latest misstion planner and flight gear is being used with arduplane v2.68 HIL version.

• Hi. I am using APM planner 1.1.75 mav 0.9 and Flightgear 2.4.0. I have the APM 1. I have installed the firmware for the HIL  sim PLANE (i first selected the QUAD by accident) on the APM1.

I selected ArduPlane in the serial link area in the upper right part of the screen and connected. This looks like it works OK. The orange leds on the IMU shield flashes. One LED flashed all the time fast, the other LED flashes not so often (once per second approx). When I click Start FG plane, Flightgear launches after a while. FG works OK with good framerate on this machine.  When I click Sim Link Start/stop the red LED comes on. This I assume indicates that APM planner and the APM1 talks with each other. I can now see the location of the plane in the APM planner on the runway. The plane looks like a cessna. The bearings also look like is shown OK.I have no RC radio receiver or ESC connected to the APM1. It seems to power fine via USB.

Problem:

How do I get this thing in the air with the APM?

When I select the MANUAL button in the Actions tab in the flight data window in the APM planner , it sets full throttle and acts crazy.

When I push AUTO button button in the Actions tab under the flight data window in the APM planner it sets throttle to only around 1000 rpm and then the plane falls and also acts crazy.

(When I click the heli button in the Simulation tab the throttle goes way up and it seems to try to control the plane. )

What is going on? Any hints?

• Hi chaps, 

Found this thread whilst searching for Flightgear and Ardupilot! - Looks like from reading this that Flightgear point blank just doesn't work. I can't even find any info on anyone who has got it to work! 

Well, after 2 evenings, I think i have got it to interface with the Mission planner v2.33, Flightgear Version 2.6. Managed to get the plane to follow waypoints, take off, and loiter etc. But then i started fiddling with the params, and I think I have ruined everything, as the plane takes off, rolls left and goes inverted and crashes!

Time for Xplane! 

One more question, does HIL mean that the servos in the plane should move? as mine dont! I have ensured the jumper is on, and i'm powering the APM 2 from the output rail, 

R

• ohhh, thanks chris

• Hi I want to perform some HIL but I am still wondering how you people bring this green airplane icon on the firmware tab. I have download the the APM planner software version 1.1.56 but I cannot see any green icon for x-plane simualtor. How is it appears on the firmware? thanks.

• I will make a video for u, but it may take an hour to get it downloaded

• Alright I have the X-Flight demo all pluged in and my transmiter works and stuff, but for some reason... The X-flight wont obey my "APM modes"? The trottle works, the throttle cut off works, but no matter what mode or postion my APM switch is in on my transmiter is compeletly ignored??? 

• So can the xplane demo be used to apm simulation?
  • 3D Robotics

Yes, you'll note that the Mission Planner supports Flight Gear along with X-Plane. We've got a tutorial here, but I have to warn you that I've never got it to work myself and we don't support it (so I can't help you).

BTW, if you think X-plane brings your PC to its knees, you're going to be in for a real shock with FlightGear. It's even more demanding.

This reply was deleted.

Activity