Version 2.4 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area.  Although not as big a change as the 2.3 release, it still includes a respectable number of enhancements and bug fixes.




Bug fixes:


The default PIDs are optimized for a 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.


Thanks go to the numerous contributors including users and their detailed bug reports, developers and testers.  Hopefully all together this will add up to a nice smooth release!


As per usual, please post your comments, issues in this discussion.  For enhancement requests for future versions, feel free to add them to the issues list.  Note:  you can "star" an issue to receive emails when someone comments on the item.  On the dev side it helps us because we can get an idea as to which feature requests are the most popular by sorting by the number of people how have starred each issue.

Views: 64969

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What you've done looks interesting, but I can't quite see it well enough to understand.  Can you get non-wideangle photos?

Have raised Issue 361 re the pitch changes on invoking Loiter in wind - the more people that "Star" it the better!

Is this what you mean?

On my way out, I'll break it all down tomorrow - see if i can find a supplier of the parts ive stumbled across and post it all then.

Dave, let me congratulate you for the detailed tests and results :) great research job indeed. As to vibration, have you checked this ?

I'm going to get myself a set even if I'm not experiencing almost any vibration on my board, but looks like for APM2 I'll be needing it. I use nylon screws with acousti silicone washers/dampers and so far I can't complain. On the 2 frames I have, the alluminium one seems to give me less vibration. I guess this has a lot to do with the motor mounts, the stiffer they are, the more low freq high amplitude noise we get rid of, and get high freq noise at a low amplitude wich is easier to damp. The other frame is a X525 and even if it looks stiffer, it's more prone to vibrations, I think, from the motor mounts, wich are not so tight and made of glass fiber.


Here's an interesting concept.  I could see something like this maybe working.  Mount the board onto something soft, and use the Orings to strap it down.

I actually have moon jel, but haven't figured out a way to employ it effectively.  The problem is it won't actually hold the board.  It's only tacky, not really sticky.  So you sit the board on it, but now what?  It just falls off.  It needs to be retained somehow.  I'm not sure if you saw what I did for my sonar a while ago. That used moongel and it worked ok.  But it was too wobbly because it only used a single bolt.  With 4 points of contact, the sandwich method may work. APM board, moongel, mounting plate, moongel, backing plate, with a screw passing through all the layers to clamp it together.  The screw doesn't touch the mounting plate edges.

Dave, on the other issue that I want to to raise, that of the response being in 3-5 second pulses, did you observe the same behaviour? The problem I have is finding clear and unequivocal evidence - I have so many traces and I find it difficult to assess tracks and time to see whether the track is showing that behaviour, or is just normal loiter pudding bowling. What I will try to do tomorrow is if I observe it again, land and save that particular track, log file, parameters etc., but if you and others can back me up, then that will give me more confidence when raising it as an issue. Regards, Bill

Hey Guys,

just loaded 2.4.1 from MP(twice actually)...something strange is going on: It does not see my receiver anymore(the blue light on the main board does not blink) and the ESCs keep beeping like there is no signal. Any idea what's going on?


Using APM1 with 2560 and MP 1.1.4

Thats exactly my intention, everytime i get back from the field i simply have too much data, I'm gonna to do it one flight at a time for a bit and really study the logs. I realise that many of my observations may be a bit half-cocked, so will try to bring some sense into it all.

And yes, it does seems that there is a 3-5 second 'are you sure' delay to the loiter... I'll investigate.

To the pub....


                  thanks for your comments.

In my setup, I change from Stabilized to Alt_Hold with no problem.

Then next mode in my switch is Loiter, and there is where I get the deeps. Switch between Loiter and Alt_hold makes the altitude deeps


Reply to Discussion


© 2018   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service