Version 2.4 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area.  Although not as big a change as the 2.3 release, it still includes a respectable number of enhancements and bug fixes.

Enhancements:

Bug fixes:

The default PIDs are optimized for a 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.

Thanks go to the numerous contributors including users and their detailed bug reports, developers and testers.  Hopefully all together this will add up to a nice smooth release!

As per usual, please post your comments, issues in this discussion.  For enhancement requests for future versions, feel free to add them to the issues list.  Note:  you can "star" an issue to receive emails when someone comments on the item.  On the dev side it helps us because we can get an idea as to which feature requests are the most popular by sorting by the number of people how have starred each issue.

Views: 65133

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

4.2.1 just loaded fine with arduino 1 relax.

Did a test flight with default PID's and very stable in no wind situation.

AH could be a little more reactive but thats PID tuning an loiter was quite good 3X3m.

Nice .....

Looking forward to the next version ;-)

The blue led on mediatek goes solid after fix, not 3d fix. The board led stays solid after achieving 3d fix, that usually occurs a while after fix.

They look crazy, give me an hour and I'll test them. 

Its the rate_d and stab_d causing the twitching, try reducing stab_D and increasing rate_D a bit, and maybe add a bit more rate_I (but not too much) see if that helps.

Either way, after dinner I'll see if i can get them to fly.

Do you have xbee's? If so you can watch the flight data, it tells you when you have a gps lock and 3d fix. Bizarrely my apm1 gps light keeps blinking even after i have a 3D fix. Seems still to work ok, I've got 2.4.1 in the air and am tuning a reasonable loiter :) I'll check it again shortly.

thanks!

I can't go higher on Rate_D - it twitches, I can go higher on Rate_P if I lower Rate_D also - this is contrary to what I see in Stab_P x Stab_D. No death wobble even with 0.012 but not smooth. Stab_D did nearly nothing apart from making it "snappy" - with very high value it twitched but that's why I lowered it from 1.0 to 0.8. I tested it a lot with 0.6 but it wandered around and I had to manually counter Stab_P (it overcompensated - D holds it in place). It's hard to explain but I really spent more than two hours getting to those values.

I can't go much higher on Rate_I either - it swings a lot if I do, so I kept it low. I'm actually thinking of dropping it completely because I don't understand it and wiki says it better be 0 than an untuned value :-)

Let me know how it worked for you!

Jan, you seem to be going a very similar road to what i call  'ninja' settings. Just bare in mind that do have their limitation, especially outside. They are great for indoor, but once you get a bit of of unpredictable wind  you may mind the settings too edgy, esp the rate_D.

These high settings will also have an impact on loiter performance etc, and in my experience its less smooth and more difficult to loiter  with highly tuned settings apart from in high wind when it becomes a hilarious battle between a very angry flying machine and the elements :)

Off to the garden with stab_P at 18 - lol, what am i doing? :D

Hehe :))

Yeah, I'd be surprised if my first real outdoor flight didn't end in crash when the wind blows, but indoors it's very stable. I tested Loiter yesterday with almost original 3DR settings and it was absolutely unusable. Did nothing until it was few meters away, and then ramped up and flew crazily away, then stopped abruptly and flew in the other direction. Tuning parameters only delayed the craziness, but did nothing to soften the behaviour. But then again - I'm no guru tester/pid tuner...

So is there some middle ground? I get good response with Stab_P of 5.5, but D has to be very low and it's not as crisp reacting to outside elements.

In esence, my goal is behaviour like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N39vJb9GHoU

I realize it's impossible to achieve this behaviour outside in mild wind, but it still should not twitch..

And btw - does a stabilized gimbal counter the twitching sufficiently or is it still highly unwanted? I don't really mind it except it makes everybody sick when watching onboard video... :)

lolololol Dave, you must stop drinking and flying :D You're transforming a quad into a rocket.

I'm sober as a judge! I'm gonna have to be, I've got stab_P at 18!!! lol

Great to here Chris!  When you say that the dev team is focusing making it easier for everyone to get the same performance, are you implying software filtering on the APM2 to alleviate some of the vibration induced issues a lot of us are seeing?

I haven't given up on mechanically improving my system to eliminate the "leans" completely, but a software boost would be nice :) 

Keep up the great work!  On a side note, the rapid pace that this open-source AP is improving is outstanding.  Commercially available "pro" APs won't be able to hold a candle to the value and performance of the APM pretty soon.

My ninja values or your own ninja values? Does it work? :-))

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service