Version 2.6 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area!

Updates to MavLink 1.0 means you will need to use "ArdupilotMegaPlanner10.exe" to connect.  If you've updated your mission planner recently you should find this executable in the directory where the mission planner is installed.

The above video is done using a prototype 3dr ublox GPS which seems to have better accuracy than the standard mediatek.

Improvements over 2.5.5 include:
     - MavLink 1.0 support (use with ArdupilotMegaPlanner10.exe) [Tridge, Craig]

- Stability improvements especially during level hover [Jason]

- throttle range improvement (higher min and max) [Jason]

- improved standard Loiter PIDs [Alan, Heino, Jason, Angel]

- dataflash erase speed up ('+' messages removed but it only takes 6 seconds now) [Tridge]

- Copter LEDs [Robert Lefebvre]

- RTL loiter stage target set to home to improve final landing position [Jason]

- flip & acro improvements [Jason]

- circle mode target improvement for ground station [Jason]

- Auto Approach [Adam Rivera / Marco]

Bug fixes include:

- UBLOX driver fixes (lock should now be more reliable) [Tridge]

- enable mavlink messages during dataflash erase which resolves issue in which new APMs fresh from the factory appeared unresponsive [Tridge]

- proper printing of lat/lon values in dataflash logs [Randy]

- removed duplicate GPS reads [Jason]

- resolve flooding of telemetry link with low-battery warnings [Tridge]

- RTL bug would land if rtl_approach_alt was more than 1 [Jason]

- WP Radius could not be set larger than 1.3m [Jason/Randy]

Tuning:
PIDs are optimised for the 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props.  If you're using more powerful motors/props and are seeing bad flight behaviour in stabilize, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.

This time we spent some time optimising the loiter PIDs.  Tuning loiter can be tricky so please refer to the discussions which will appear below for more community feedback on what parameters work best.

All feedback welcome below.  Enhancement requests and bug reports can be put into the arducopter issues list.  When possible please include logs (tlog and/or dataflash) and tell us whether you're using APM1 or APM2 and what version of the software you're using (presumably 2.6 but tell us anyway!).

Happy flying!

Views: 64294

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Im confused how you can flip in Stabilise? Is Stabilise mode not meant to prevent that?

hehe, yes, it does not make sense, but it does :)

Flipping in ACRO mode mean that the motors/props are always spinning, but it's full manual control with NO stabilization, thus a lot harder to fly for most people, that also means you can do full manual rolls and loops, BUT when you flip a copter with spinning motors (unlike a variable pitch heli) as soon as it's upside down it want to move tawards the ground veen faster than gravity will let us free fall as it's powered, with STABILIZE bode it's just a lot easiers..

I simply pump the throttle and then hard stick right/left/forward or back aat the same time (like half a second before) I can the power fully, thus the momentum of the roll makes the copter flip, I then wait for it to do the full loop and then up throttle again, as soon as the props start spinning the APM 'catches' the quad as STAB mode is again activated, I basically 'cheat' the STAB mode, as with no powere the is no STAB mode even though I'm flying in STAB mode. Get it ?

It's FAR EASIER to do flips like this than in ACRO mode. As you can see even with a huge octo, you just need enough momentum to flip it.

:)

It's simply a matter of rolling or pitching hard on full throttle then as the frame approaches full tilt (40 degrees in stab mode) killing the throttle for a second. With no throttle applied the APM will not stabilise anything, and the momentum of the hard roll/pitch will carry it over for a flip. Then simply power up again and the APM will stabilise the frame level again.  Doing this in Acro is a bit diffferent as you have to be more precise with the timing and ready with roll and pitch to bring the frame back in shape.

My favourite is a tri copter front flip, it looks great. I'd do a video, if it wasn't for the severe weather warning... 

Hi guys,

I have just uploaded the new ver 2.6 to my APM2 and its working a treat also noticed it loads a lot quicker with the MP Nav1

great work and cant wait to get this into the air and report back :-) keep up the great work.

Knut, can you confirm what your Rx does on signal loss?  I wonder if it's similar to the Turnigy (ie: drops the throttle channel).

Were any signal wires loose after you got it back?  Obviously we couldn't determine if the wires came lose before the flyaway, or after it crashed.  But it no signal wires are loose after the crash, then obviously none were lose before the flyaway, so we could rule that possibility in/out.

I consistently hear too many terrible stories about Spektrum equipment that I just won't fly it.  Just last weekend, a pilot at the airfield told me his Spektrum Tx/Rx have buggered up 3 times now.  He had to turn the Tx power off and on mid-air to re-establish connection, and now the Tx won't bind to that Rx at all anymore.

I wonder why the yaw is slower?  They backed out my changes, so yaw should be the same as before.  What is your Stab_Yaw_P before and after?  Stab_Yaw_P effectively controls yaw rate right now.

Duran, thank you so much for these videos!  They really show off the systems, and give the Devs something to be proud of.  Sometimes it seems like all we hear are the problems.  But this shows what the system is capable of in the right hands.

Dave, so you have a Tri?  Do you have a problem with yaw oscillation?  Want to test something for me?  I can give you something to patch in, pretty safe and simple to start with.  Basically creating a dead-band between the yaw angle controller and the yaw rate controller, so that if the yaw angle error is less than 2°, it just tell the yaw rate controller "Zero", so that it's not constantly sawing back and forth on that yaw servo.

I've tested it on my heli as a heli-only option, but I'm thinking of making it compile for heli and tri.

Thanks and THANKS YOU guys for the amazing code! I would like to help and assist where possible with testing as we build and sell copters, and have always used and promoted APM. Let me know where/when I can help with anything else, especially biger octo rigs.

APM is now officially certified for throw-away!

Hi Robert,

Just got in, am setting up the tri with 2.6 now, I like the sound of the deadband - as i mentioned I have a really poor analogue tail servo so its a great test bed, i.e. if it helps lock the tail of this tri, it should work with pretty much anything.

Send me the patch over, I'll tri with and without.

Duran,

Can you post your param file?  I have a large-ish hexa (close to 4Kg) and am trying to get it dialed in.  It's ok at the moment, but still tends to drift and wander around. 

Thanks,
Jonathan

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service