Version 2.6 of the ArduCopter code is now available in the AP Mission Planner and in the downloads area!
Updates to MavLink 1.0 means you will need to use "ArdupilotMegaPlanner10.exe" to connect. If you've updated your mission planner recently you should find this executable in the directory where the mission planner is installed.
The above video is done using a prototype 3dr ublox GPS which seems to have better accuracy than the standard mediatek.
Improvements over 2.5.5 include:
- MavLink 1.0 support (use with ArdupilotMegaPlanner10.exe) [Tridge, Craig]
- Stability improvements especially during level hover [Jason]
- throttle range improvement (higher min and max) [Jason]
- improved standard Loiter PIDs [Alan, Heino, Jason, Angel]
- dataflash erase speed up ('+' messages removed but it only takes 6 seconds now) [Tridge]
- Copter LEDs [Robert Lefebvre]
- RTL loiter stage target set to home to improve final landing position [Jason]
- flip & acro improvements [Jason]
- circle mode target improvement for ground station [Jason]
- Auto Approach [Adam Rivera / Marco]
Bug fixes include:
- UBLOX driver fixes (lock should now be more reliable) [Tridge]
- enable mavlink messages during dataflash erase which resolves issue in which new APMs fresh from the factory appeared unresponsive [Tridge]
- proper printing of lat/lon values in dataflash logs [Randy]
- removed duplicate GPS reads [Jason]
- resolve flooding of telemetry link with low-battery warnings [Tridge]
- RTL bug would land if rtl_approach_alt was more than 1 [Jason]
- WP Radius could not be set larger than 1.3m [Jason/Randy]
PIDs are optimised for the 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props and are seeing bad flight behaviour in stabilize, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.
This time we spent some time optimising the loiter PIDs. Tuning loiter can be tricky so please refer to the discussions which will appear below for more community feedback on what parameters work best.
All feedback welcome below. Enhancement requests and bug reports can be put into the arducopter issues list. When possible please include logs (tlog and/or dataflash) and tell us whether you're using APM1 or APM2 and what version of the software you're using (presumably 2.6 but tell us anyway!).
I have been thinking about building a V8. What props and motors are you using?
Are there any dimensions available (link please).
This in the Wiki Mike?
Would be nice to have a pdf one can print out, just on the basic calibration and leveling routines.
I picked up on the hover setting, didn't know there was a leveling routine too.
I'm going to see if I can get all these tips into a condensed form.
Yep, it's in the wiki. Maybe it could be more prominent, I've been thinking maybe there should be a process diagram, or something like that, for checking out a new quad. You want to take a hack at it, Gustav?
Thanks Peter, Rolf, Mike.
I changed the code and recompiled 2,6 on my APM 2.
AH holds fine now.
I've done the same but haven't tested yet. However I've noticed under the parameter list is says THR_MIN is 0, should I be setting that to 120 as well or is this parameter ignored?
in v2.6 as far as i can tell it is ignored, in source this has been changed so i expect it will be active in the next minor version.
I myself have V-8 is designed, milled (have the DFX files) and built.
APM 1, XBEE 2,4 GhZ, Sonar,
Motor carrier length is 1.20 m
Props 13/6 Carbon
Motors MK 3638
Lithium cell count: 3-6
Load current: max. 20 A
Load current. (60 sec): 25 A
Idle speed: 770 rpm / V
Wave power: about 350W
Thrust max. Max. 2200 g
Total weight (without cable): approx 100g
Dimensions: h = 35mm, d = 38mm
Shaft diameter: 4 mm
ESC: BL ROXXY Control 940-6 - 8631
Weight: 47 g
Load current: 40 A
Short term: 50 A
Dimensions: 66 x 25 x 10mm BEC: 5.5 V / max. 3 A / 5 A short
2 * 3S Lipo 8000 mAmp 30 C
Flight time with 1 kg load (Camera) for ~15 minutes
I hope I have helped you :)
I'll take a bash at it Mike, might just be ugly though :-)
Hans, Just run on default parameters.
After changing config.h exactly as described above, after compiling and uploading and resetting Tx I now had Only one speed = almost full throttle! from min to max stick so be careful! Hold the Copter down while testing throttle for the first time.
I found that you must now go into Mission planner cli and type the three commands(separately)
Now setup as normal in m planner
enable hardware (sonar for example)
Enter mag dec
select switch mode options.
Now check that throttle is now behaving, if so do a quick hover in stabilize mode land disarm, rearm, go test out AH & L
You do this at your own risk, mine is now working perfectly, in no wind alt-hold was basically stationary regards alt.
Loiter is just nice to watch, gently swaying within about a 3~4 ft box. Turned it 90 deg to point east and tried loiter again and this time it was motionless. My sonar isn't working but this is a different issue...