Arducopter 2.7.2 is now in the mission planner and in the downloads area Some positive reports on testing can be found in this discusssion by John Hanson.

Note: just as the release was going out an issue was found re support for the all Camera Gimbals on the APM1s (it doesn't work) and with 3 axis gimbals on the APM2 (2-axis works ok but not 3).  If you're one of these people, please wait for 2.7.3 which will be out shortly. 

UPDATE: 2.7.3 is now in the Mission Planner

Functional Improvements over 2.7.1:

• Fast waypoints (Jason) - if the turn angle between two waypoint the copter is less than 60 degrees it does not slow down
  • Navigation improvements and logging including switching to filtered location for distance calculations (jason)
  • Flip improvements - more aggressive and flexible flip code based on attitude instead of timing (Jason)
  • Improved camera control - you can now control any axis (roll, tilt, pan) with any rc channel.  it probably makes most sense that you will use 6 but others are possible too.  Unfortunately these changes required we change the set-up procedure so the mission planner gimbal set-up screen needs to be modified again.  Please refer to the AC_Camera wiki page for how to manually set-up the gimbal (Amilcar)
  • Flybar acro mode for TradHeli (Robert)
  • "Fast gains" - allows strong correction of attitude using accelerometers while the quad is stationary on the ground but relies more on gyros while flying (Tridge, Jason)
  • Baro filtering improvements (Tridge)

Bug Fixes:

• DMP timing fix (Randy) - the MPU6000's dmp unit was inadvertantly turned on and caused timing delays in the main loop- xbee bricking issue (Craig / Tridge)
  • Dataflash fixes (Jason)
  • Engine ticking - was a combination of roll/pitch rate D term being too high and the dmp timing fix above (Randy, Emile)
  • Faster heading correction on start-up - resolves issue with simple mode getting incorrect heading if you took off very soon after start-up (Tridge)

Code Cleanup:

• Increased maximum number parameters (Tridge)
  • Formatting changes to code (Pat)
  • Replaced "int" with "int16_t" everywhere (Randy)

As per usual PIDs are optimised for the 3DR/Jdrones quad with 850 motors and 10" props. If you're using more powerful motors/props and are seeing bad flight behaviour in stabilize, start by turning down Rate Roll P in 25% steps.

There is still some question on whether the default Roll/Pitch Rate P (0.175) is high enough (it was 0.185 in 2.7.1) and also some people feel the Throttle Rate should be higher (currently 0.300 but some say 0.330 or even much higher would be better).

Please feel free to report issues you find in the discussion below and/or add them to the issues list.

Thanks and enjoy!

Views: 52763

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Bill, so other than the landing, how did it fly?

I tried a mission last night, I was in a small area, and at first I left the default WP radius at 20, which was silly.  Basically it complete all the waypoints at once! ;)

Ok, so then I set it to 5m, and spread them out more.  But now it was really weird. The quad stopped *just* outside the WP radius and stayed there.  It was like it was struggling against a headwind or something (totally calm).  Just inching towards the WP radius shell. It flew fast between points, but then stopped and took about 30 seconds to move the final 1m to his the radius, then it would zoom off to the next one, stop, and inch it's way in.  Very weird.

I have only one idea:  I think I had a small trim issue.  It drifted backwards just a bit in a hands off hover.  I'm wondering if it was trying to approach the waypoint very slowly, and the nav PID settings were such that it couldn't overcome this backwards drift.  After I was done, I did an auto-trim, but no battery left to test again.  

Any clue on that?

clue ?

Yeah Bill, there's a little bug, i've the same problem... will check what happens in the code.
For now you can solve it simply, at the end of the mission you can create a waypoint with the same coordinates as the home.

Bill, I tested your mission today, ie 4 corners of a square and a waypoint half way home changed to (RTL) Well it went into loiter, (kind of half way between loiter and almost landing, was windy and no dataFlash so no conformation which one it was).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-EQp9XoANk

I don't know why it is exiting there, one argument could be that the RTL is not suitable for ending a mission! I would indeed like the coders view on this, either explanation why or conformation of a bug. 

I would also like to know, when a mission terminates, your mode switch would remain in <auto> (until its changed) so what mode does it revert to on mission exit, and where is the code that deals with this?

R_Lefebvre, My wp radius was default, can be seen in the video, the wp's were close together in windy weather, no problem, Just an observation notice how the quad momentarily slows down the moment that each waypoint is reached, before yawing and continuing to next wp

btw 3dr radio turned up today so hopefully collect more info in the future!

Peter

Hi I have an APM2 with onboard GPS. I get a solid blue LED on the GPS modual, but the the blue "c" LED on the apm does not even blick. It is supposed to blick and turn solid when GPS lock is achieved?

This is backed up by the fact that I do not see a GPS lock on my computer with telem. 

And I cannot switch to stabilise mode.

Is there any thing I can change in the firmware of settings?

Or is it a HW issue?

Thanks

EDIT:

Trouble shooting page shows that I should not power at 6v from external BEC.

Changed to 5v and it works! Never get over how finiky these things are...

Yea, that was my next mission once it stops raining and the wind gets under 10mph. Gotta love Florida.

Yeah. After upgrading from 2.7.1. to 2.7.3 and saving modes to eeprom, 3 out of 4 motors spins shortly just after plugging the battery.
Looks like some test mode.
When I arm the APM2 it responds to my commands (throttle, leaning, yawning) but only 3 motors are spinning. When I put the throttle stick down it goes back to short spins of 3 motors, one by one.

So I asked does anyone have a clue why it behaves like that. I did several upgrades but it's the first time with such problem.

NooB here - so discount my observation appropriately.

When I upgraded to 2.7.3 all of my parameters and settings were reset.  I thought I had checked everything, but on first flight the copter immediately flipped over.  Thanks to Alexi and Mike I was led to double-check my configuration.  The configuration (X instead of +) was the problem.

In another flight, I had another motor that refused to init.  It just sat there and the ESC was going beep,,,beep,,,beep about once per second.  That turned out to be a loose data cable to the ESC.

Hope this helps.

I have observed the same behaviour and simply created a last waypoint at the landing position, and that works well.

But now the Hexa increases the decent rate in the last 5m and bounces hard when landing, and continues to bounce until it tips over or I take control.

What parameter do I need to tweak to slow the decent rate in auto land?

Wow and wow and wow!!! I have been out of the loop for a few months and now I return to find the work has continued and all of the developers here never cease to outdo themselves!! I can't wait to upload the new firmware and get my quad airborne again. I am so glad to have Invested so much time and money into such a worthy project!  Thank you to all the developers, testers, and folks who just fly! 

yeah... I fly every day and upload every fix... Now.. this chit works !!!!!  Fast WP, loiter, Land... everything..

Very nice...  Because of how good it works.. I am building a boat with ArduRover and taking it to the Artic

next summer, to do some research !!...  Its that good !!!...  Hope GPS is solid up there.. HAHA

Eddie Weeks

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service