ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

Views: 385883

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

After thinking what was happend. Thi

Trying to get my head around the fail safe setup here and after half a day of lots of reading I think I am making headway. 

I have a Futaba 10CAG and using an FrSkye TFR8 receiver. Ive read that the TFR8 has a fail safe feature as well and they advise to disable FS in the Futaba TX if using this RXs fail safe so I disabled that in the TX. Thats all Ive done so far. I'm not sure if the FS on the TFR8 is on or off yet.

But when I turn off the TX is see in MP the throttle drops to 900. I'm not sure if this is from the RX setting this or from the APM2.5 boards encoder. (updated to the latest fw version) 

My question is, is this sufficient enough for the FS to work?  Is the setting of 900 from the APM or the RX and how can I check this and is it to low at 900?

Just with the USB cable connected and the APM armed, when I turn off the TX it disarms the APM. There is no GPS lock as this is indoors. Will this fail safe work without GPS lock if just flying in stabilize mode?

hi Randy

what options used for official hex compilations?

i tried to compile git code for quaid but my hex file size was large 

#define DMP_ENABLED ENABLED  in official hex?

Audrius,

Darn.  It's a bug...

I've narrowed it down and fixed it in development.  I'd rather not rush this fix out by doing another release immediately because a few other things might pop up so I'm thinking to just put a warning above for a couple of weeks and then we will release it in a couple of weeks along with any other fixes we have by then.

Thanks for the report though!

Thank you ,

I see when turning on the engines the LEDs of xbee weaken.

this version fly very well ( I have some difficulty with setup alt hold..)so I'd rather keep this :-)

next fly check hWvoltage , thanks!

Not sure on this one, sorry.

John,

I've just reworked the failsafe wiki page today.  Trying to make it a bit more clear.

It's very interesting that you get 900 from the throttle channel, that almost certainly means that when you lose radio contact your receiver simply stops sending signals to the APM and the ppm encoder is noticing and sending the 900 to the APM.  So as you expect, it's likely the ppm encoder.  This should be fine.

I've updated the wiki with 4 or 5 tests you can run.  It's likely that during your test you had the throttle at zero which is why it disarmed.  Raise the throttle and then turn it off and you should see it switch to LAND (not RTL because you don't have a GPS signal).

Alexey,

You shouldn't need to define anything in APM_Config.h.  All the required #defines should be defined by default.

You definitely don't want the DMP_ENABLED.  Using the MPU6k's attitude estimator is missing some of the features that we have in DCM including centripetal force correction.

If the hex size is too large I suspect that you don't have the board selection done properly.  There's a wiki page here about it, in particular the "Setting the board type" part.

I think you may be going in the wrong direction with your tuning, as some of your values are a bit strange. Also, your vibrations seem to be very marginal - I'd spend some time reducing those first, and then maybe go back to the default settings.

In 3.0 - I've found I have to tune RATE_ROLL_P only - and usually its just reducing that to stop the fast oscillations. I've not found the need to tune anything else, to be honest.

Dear Randy,

thank you very much.

Audrius

I have found 2 conditions that will cause motors startup and tip overs on the ground: 0 altitude in a mission "takeoff" and "circle" mode mistakenly switched on while at 0 altitude..

The team has done a fantastic job of protecting us from pilot planning errors but these 2 have bitten me recently.

Is it possible to block arming if takeoff is at 0 alt and circle mode inadvertently started while on the ground?

This latest version 3.01 is just fantastic.. Thanks

thank you very much!!!

I did so, the differences insignificant, 220 vs. 235kb

I forgot that added support for the bipolar "allegro" current sensor to my build

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service