ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

Views: 384383

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Any reason I'm not able to search in discussions from these pages now?

Any word I search replies:
Our apologies - we couldn't find any discussions matching your search.
Suggestions:
Make sure all words are spelled correctly
Try different or more general keywords

Even tried several browser !??

Hi Randy 

If I may ask you to have a look at my lastest log .. I have rebuilt my Apm mounting and fitted new bearing to one of my motors .. flying well .. just a bit of difference on throttle control going from alt hold back to Stab mode ..Copter loses altitude when switched back to Stab.. Any way i tried to have a look at my vibration levels but the graph does not make sense to me ..it does not look like the one you screen captured of my last log ..Apm is now sitting on a Ali plate with gyro foam squares and the ali plate  is sitting on small gyro foam squares too ..onto the frame ..power now coming from a 5v bec and not from the esc's one esc is just used to power the gimbal servos..

Attachments:

@walthero,

I have the same problem that you do when using IE10 and Chrome. I have opened a ticket with NING, but I think that they are waiting until NING 3.0 to see if that corrects the problem. Sorry, this is the best that we can do with NING at the present.

Regards,

TCIII Admin

I've been following the DIY forums for a few months now and I can't seem to get search working either...   Nothing ever matches my search terms.  (Using Firefox)

Same in Firefox, Opera and Safari :(
Any Browser/Version who work at all?

OK, so I'm having a bit of trouble getting 3.0.1 to load on my APM.   And yes, I've searched for an answer to this, and as of yet, nothing has changed.

I loaded the APM with the new firmware, tried to connect, at the correct port and baud rate, and it timed out.    So, I reloaded 2.9.1, got back to where I was, GPS lock, etc., then reloaded 3.0.1 again.   This time, it connected, and I started working on parameters.    A couple of minutes into it, it starts screaming at me "No data for X seconds", and I'm very annoyed at that point.   So, I repeat the process of reloading the old firmware, back to normal again, and then reloading the new stuff.   Now, no connection again, so, reloaded the old firmware and I'm back to where I started :(.

So, any answers for me, they would be much appreciated.  

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

Having to change the battery settings in both power module and Battery FS in MP each time you want to switch from a 4S to 3S or if you change aircraft is a bit troublesome and particularity if your out in the field.

What I notice  also if you switch to a different copter, the Bat FS in Software Settings changes to the different APM boards settings, but the 3DRPower Module low battery alert settings in Hardware stays the same from the last aircraft setting.  I suspect this needs to be fixed?

Also to make it easier, wouldn't  it be better to have low battery warnings and alerts set to the cell reading rather than the over all cell voltage as in set them to 3.5v ? Then it wouldn't matter if you swapped from 4S to 3S and so on.

Jim, use Google to search within the site. The syntax is "site:diydrones.com XXX" without the quotation marks. This example would return all occurrences of XXX on the site. Note that there is no space between the colon after the word site and before the name. Note that including http etc. is not necessary. More sophisticated searches are possible (using and/or etc.), google "search within a site" and you'll find lots of instructions. This little trick is real handy on many sites that have shaky search engines, or none at all.

Alex thanks for you advise on this. I did notice I needed a lot less throttle input to get it to fly and hover and probably I would need to adjust the PIDs to this difference as well becasue there was a bit of a jitter when it settles after a quick maneuver. I just wanted to try out the flight time difference which I haven't done properly yet.

I had used 4Ss in the past on some of my other rigs and I'm still undecided which really are the best options for powering copters.

This was my line of thinking and why I went back to 3Ss. For fast maneuvers I suspect higher voltages and higher C ratings  are a big advantage, but for general stable flying for video and photos work this mostly isn't needed. This goes the same for C ratings where there is no point going to 45 or more when you don't need to draw that amount of current. 

What you end up doing is paying a lot more for these higher capacity batteries for something you don't really need and that also add a lot more weight to your flying rig.

In my view a 3S 25C or 30C, 6000mAh battery should give about the same flight time as a 4S 40C 6000mAh battery if flown under the same conditions yet the cost is around 1/4to 1/3 less for the 3S and about 250gm difference in weight less to carry.

The only up side I can see is that the demand on the higher capacity battery is less so longevity wise they might just last a little longer?. Ive not tested this to compare them yet.

Whats your view and findings on this?

Used google for a long time now but waiting for this to be fixed.
More advanced search functions here:
http://www.googleguide.com/advanced_operators_reference.html

cheers...

Can you connect with the Arduino Serial monitor and post any output here?  If it's having troubles starting it might spit out the reason.

Sometimes after loading new firmware you need to give it a minute or two of quiet time to allow it to erase the dataflash because of a flash format change.

Understood. Thanks alot RIckP.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service