ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

Views: 385479

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Randy,

Before this great update in the parameter list I can found:

SER_AUX_BAUD, SER_AUX_PORT, SER_CLI_BAUD, SER_CLI_PORT, SER_GPS_BAUD, SER_GPS_PORT

Now the only one is SERIAL3_BAUD (used for telemetry)!!!!

How can I change AUX and GPS serial baud rate???

I am not sure if it comes from Mission Planner v1.2.66 or from the FW....

Please can someone help me??...

Rino

I tend to run the pure stock 3.0.1 values.  My tri is completely vanilla settings.  My on my quad I turned the main KP rate down just a bit because it is very stiff and was a bit twitchy with carbon props.  I haven't touched the loiter-specific settings on either.

Randy pls help me to find out the cause of this failed auto mission+crash. I've posted logs here: http://diydrones.com/group/arducopterusergroup/forum/topics/help-ne...

Why does it matter, its probably all fixed.

Im learning FPV and i use loiter to make for slow flying. I can look and become accustomed to my surroundings before i slowly push forward. Anytime i feel disoriented i just stop and the copter will sit in that position without me worrying about drift or height.

Glen,

There a couple of things in the new code to help with GPS issues and fly aways. If you loose GPS lock for more then 5 seconds, the fail safe is to land. There is some discuss about changing the fail safe action. With fly aways they have developed a simple fence, with an RTL action if the copter reaches the fence.

If the I2C pins on the PX4 are 5V tolerant, then what exactly does it mean "not ideal" to run with the jumper set to 5V?  I mean... ok, I understand it's not perfect, but I can't see anything actually "bad" about the situation?  But this is outside my scope of experience.  What am I missing?

I think better solution is switch to 3.3 on compass. And use vcc from Spektrum satelite port. As I know it  have vcc 3.3v. Anyway not clean solutions because we need extra wire with connector.

@Craig,

I had a look at the compass schematic and the pull up resistors, 10K, are used to pull up the outputs of the compass IC prior to being converted by the level shifter. The level shifter input is 3.3vdc, but the output is tied to Vin which in this case is 5vdc. However, is the output of the level shifter open collector? Probably not as they would not be supplying Vin to the output of the level shifter. The only solution here is to tie the Vin of the level shifter to 3.3vd which means the level shifter is really not a level shifter anymore.:-)

Regards,

TCIII ArduRover2 Developer

The wiki is saying that the PX4 "just works" with the combined Compass/Mag board, and doesn't mention these voltage troubles.  Is this true?  Is the problem only when using the stand-alone mag board?  If so, that's great.

@Rob,

I believe that the I2C port on the APM2.5/6 is supplying 3.3vdc on the Vcc pin so there is no problem with either the stand-alone compass or the GPS/compass module.

Regards,

TCIII ArduRover2 Developer 

Thomas, yes, I'm aware of that, I've been using the external mag for a long time on APM2.x.  I'm mostly concerned about the PX4.  I misunderstood all this talk as saying that the PX4 didn't work with the GPS/Mag, but now I understand that the problem only exists with the stand-alone mag board.  

It's all very timely, as I have a PX4 on order, but it's on hold right now, because the GPS/Mag board is backordered.  I had thought about splitting up the shipment, but now I know there's no point because I can't use the PX4 without the GPS/Mag board. My helis cannot use the internal mag on the PX4 due to interference.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service