ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

Views: 386083

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

z-axis looks OK but x and y look rough..

hmm, I'll try see that. Thanks Randy.

if you post a data flash log I can try and have a look

I have my quad very very stable in stabalize mode; so I went to try Alt Hold mode...

To get an stable alt, I have to rise the "Altitude Hold" param from 1 to 4.5 ; and to avoid overshothing I have to lower the "Throttle Rat" param from 6 to 0.8

In place the alt hold is OK, BUT; If I go into forward flight whilst in loiter or alt hold mode, the quad will lose height; and when stop moving it recover the height. I have the baro covered with foam inside of the apm case.

I'm on the last firmware release 3.0.1; my CompassMot is 0 (external compass) and the vibs are under control (moongel)...

What params I must to tune up¡¡

Just took my quad for it's first flight after updating from 2.9.2 to 3.0.1. I just have to say good job devs.  It flies beautifully and the loiter/rtl is rock solid.

My hat's off to you guys.

@Kevin

I need to collect humidity/temperature data in vertical line up to 3000m. Data collecting is performed by small device placed on board of quad. These data are then used for pilots of full size aircraft (mostly gliders) during gliders racing. Such flight to 3000m must take small manned sport aircraft each morning during the race - this cost extra money for organizers and pilots. Glider pilots then evaluates these atmospheric data and set up for these conditions.

It seems to be first usage of ACM in real life for me , not only tinker about as it was up to now :o).

@Randy

here is the datalog of my test flight up to 300 meters.

Attachments:

Randy help

I finally took the courage to fly the hexa after the success with the Quad ...I was checking to see if it could carry 1.2kg payload .. I  booted up the board and waited for 5 mins before taking off to ensure I had good number of sats ..The flight was going well until i tried GPS Hold ..it was toilet bowling mildly getting worse which it did not do before without the extra weight ..so I went back to Alt Hold to come back closer to the landing site .. THEN ! without warning the copter tipped to its Right and crashed onto it its side destroying the Gimbal and camera and two motors and two broken booms ripped and cut wiring ..etc I have had a look at the logs it appears throttle was a bit higher than Std flight with no payload ..what is interesting looking at MOT ..I see motor two seemed to drop suddenly ..taking the copter down to the concrete drive way .Funny thing is motor two is on the left side of the hexa ..and when it tipped it went right ? breaking the right hand booms motor and props

I can see the MOT values on the motors 1 and 2 started evenly then I can see 1 go a bit higher and 2 drop off ?  Can you look at the log and see what you make of it ?  I Have also just seen the Roll vs Roll In graph looks like something went wrong ??? I think esc issue ..what  ya think ?

Attachments:

It is great to see some people use APM for different needs.

I hope you can achieve what you want palo. 3000m up is a great distance. Your aircraft will be out of radio range; so I can't see a way other than the Auto mode to do this mission.

What type of multicopter are you using? Could you share your setup? Quad/hexa, battery capacity etc. I don't remember seeing the details in your above posts...

Hello Reuben,

my english isn't so good and i'm just beginning to understand the log Files.

I've attached a picture from your logfile at which you can see the Battery Voltage and the Altitude.

Do you use an 4s Lipo for your hexa ? In this case i think you use an empty Lipo.

At the start of the Log your Lipo has an amount of 14,9 V (3.7 per Cell on 4s).

Perhaps i'm completly wrong but i think that u started with an empty Lipo.

Christian

Attachments:

My setup is:

frame: reptile 550v2 kind, self CNC-milled plates from PCB, arms from goodluckbuy.com, longer version (though 29cm). Seems like this except the plates are yellow PCB material.

4x motors:AC2836-358, 880Kv

4x esc:jD-UltraPWM ESC 30 Amp.

battery: 5000mAh 4cell

controller: APM v1.4

ACM version 3.0

RC gear: Tx futaba FF9 + FrSky DHTU

Rx FrSky D8R XP.

Have not yet ardu telemetry (no 3dr or xbee), just telemetry from FrSky, but at that hight it is not reachable...

Unfortunately for now I don't have any photos of it.

With this setup I can fly cca 15 minutes. As I calculated with climb rate more than 10m/s I can reach the mission in 3000m and safely return back from this height.

Hello,

first, this firmware flies great. Thaks to the devs.

But I discovered a problem. If I trigger Failsafe RTL the copter is spinning around the yaw-axis?

I have a Y6, did all callibrations and also the compassmot and have low vibrations. I did the compassmot 3 times. First it was about 110%, second time it was about 160% and the third time it was about 60%. All conditions between these were the same. Nevertheless Loiter is quite good.

Another question, is it possible to reduce some wobble if I change the IMU update rate from 20Hz to 42Hz?

Attachments:

Any help ?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service