ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

Views: 386059

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Which original GPS are you referring too ? Im using a UBlox on a Hex with APM2 and its fine. I currently have it sitting about 10cm away from the center between two legs on one of those sonar carbon things.

I have good & bad to say about 3.0.1
Now that it is setup, it flys beautiful! Still need to work on alt hold, it's not perfect yet.
What I noticed is that on the first update, my quad flew great, then I did the compassmot, & it would lean hard to the right. I erased EEPROM, installed 3.0.1 again, this time it would always lean to the right. Did the update 7 more times all with the same results. On the 8th try, it flew perfect, I haven't done the compassmot, as it flys to good. My loiter is perfect, RTH is perfect. So I'm not changing it again. So to Ryan that is having troubles, maybe you can try to update the SW again, I find it very sensitive to the steps you do, to update it. But it does fly much better.
I'm using apm 2.5 with ublox, quad is a tbs disco, dji flashed esc's, dji motors,rctimers 9x5 props,5.8 video, 2.4gig Rc.
I'd like to see a better alt hold, I mean a more responsive control, it has to much of a died band & to slow to react, so if I'm flying in alt hold mode & cruising around at a good clip & need to climb to avoid something infront of me, I can't get it to climb fast enough, I normall just go to full power & switch to stab mode, then back to alt hold after I've cleared the object.

Thanks for all the great improvements to this controller, I'll never buy another naza again.
Marc

Hello,

Can somebody explain why quadro fell down when "Failsafe" was generated ( RTL). in parameters i had 10m RTL and it was on ~30m level when it was accured. In log i could not find logical reason.

Thank you for help

Audrius

Attachments:

Thanks William.  At least someone understands.  Did a quick flight.  Here are the logs.  Not really sure what im looking for.  Still trys to fly away in loiter and rtl mode.  flys fine in stabalize mode.

Attachments:

I am having problem here, anyone can help me please? After the crash I had where altHold, loiter and rtl worked awesome now they dont work anymore, I still can fly in stab mode, very stable but when I go to alt hold for example, sometimes my copter go full throttle and up very fast, sometimes it just lands, The altitude is being measured wrong it seems, bellow are the part of the log I just flew, today I also reseted the board and configured everything again, I also attached tlog and dataflash log if anyone can take a look I appreciate.

Ps: almost nothing has been changed after it was flying good, my board has the case and the foam as before, if the problem is with the baro is there anything to do? 

Here is the thread I created about the crash:http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/strange-crash-while-in-automode-w... Actually I dont want know what happened I preffer to forget and just have my quad flying awesome again.. 

RelAlt, BarAlt and Alt

XYZ, I know there are some vibrations but its quite same before when it was flying good.

Attachments:

Hm, you need to enable IMU logging as described http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/downloading-and-analyzing-data-log... ... From what I can understand, with the little information your logs currently provide, you need to relocate your GPS. According to the log you always have few satelites (<8) and have bad hdop values. (hdop is also described at http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/downloading-and-analyzing-data-log... ) .

Leaning usually means you need to calibrate your accelerometer.   Or, the calibration is correct,  but the APM has shifted and is not sitting level.    The calibration is easy to do using Mission Planner.  There are instructions on how to do it here -->  http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/initial-setup/configuring-hardware...

Too much vibrations I think

Attaching a log of a flight I've just done, disconected gps, telemetry and compass, look what happened just hovering, the copter went up to about 50meters until I switched to stabilizer back. 

Just to peace my mind I also tried to change the rx from the radio, I was using ppm throught ezuhf, connected a fm rx just to see if it was the problem but it happened as before.

Attachments:

Juan, It's a good point but X and Y it's between -3 and +3 and Z is -15 and +15, I read in the manual/wiki somewhere that those values are ok, am I wrong?

Just wanted to add a positive review of the upgrade. 3DR Hex here with everything loaded like a Cadillac! Anyhow I put off upgrading because I thought 2.9.1 was flying good but I finally upgraded and its much much improved. When I switch to Loiter its smooth I mean the thing just holds no fluctuations unless I come in hot and hit the switch but it will settle fast. I had a little problem with RTL but my setup RTL_ALT was set at something like 3000 I set it to zero. It would go into RTL but then gain alt because it was wanting to go to the 3000 programed in then start dropping ALT. I tried it out 2 times and walla no issues lands very nice. I only use RTL for emergency landing otherwise I feel you as the pilot should be landing in stabilize mode to keep up your skills its just like flying a real plane 3 takes offs and 3 landings to stay current.    Anyhow I can't comment on the Auto Pilot stuff because I don't use that this is an A/P machine.  I will do more Autonomous stuff with another machine or the fixed wing I am building for agriculture mapping.

So Again Kudos to the team and I look forward to many years of updates. I just saw the 3DR Pixhawk I 

I wish I would of went with the PX4 to start but that's how it goes I think next run will be PX4 / Pixhawk based, the processor is much faster for future updates and such as I see it. But the AMP 2.5 is staying on this hex.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service