ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

Views: 386034

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a small problem tuning 3.0.1 to perfection on a particular machine.

It's a foldable quad, inspired by Steadidrones' QU4D, with front arms in "hero mode" 150 deg. apart, and set up in MP as a "V"-frame. The trouble is yaw and yaw-authority related. It holds alt and position extremely well, flies straight lines both front-back and left-right beautifully, but anytime I apply yaw it ill-behaves.

Yaw in loiter woud yeld circling in increasing diameter up until 3-4 meters where it would settle and keep circling. Releasing rudder stick will have the quad snap back to center and holding nicely. In RTL, if WP_YAW_BEHAVIOUR is either 0 or 2 it will fly straight back without a moments hesitation keeping whatever heading it had. With 1, it will first do a large circle arc, which looks and feels unsettling :) then come home straight. And in high-speed Stabilize flight, applying yaw will have the motors sound like Rate-D is too high... a 2-4 Hz police siren.

Unfortunately, no logs. My beat-up APM 2.0 reports "dataflash not inserted" so I'll try parameter adjust from your wild guesses. 

Really nice Ivan, thanks for your feedback!

OK i did the Scary compassmot testing on my desk and found out the office is very very dusty lol.  First run i got 366%  so i moved the apm on top of the top plate and did it again and got 26%  Going ot tidy up the wires some and do a test flight to see if it helped.  Worries me with the apm not really being protected in any way..

Can i be safe about using RTL as a failsafe with vibration level like these one's?

Got it thanks...

For some reason, I thought MSI is something different than the Mission Planner:)

That's where I got confused. All is good now...

ok got in a flight.  It does better and the rlt is pretty good.  Landed within 20' of launch.  loiter is still iffy.  Sometimes it does well and other times it wanders and starts going towards the ground.  Ideas?

Attachments:

Hi Randy 

I have a small problem , I wanted to set a new firmware on a new AMP2.5 Board .. So I did connect it to MP unmounted to frame and with no wires attached just the bare board with USB to laptop ..connected to laptop fine and booted up ..then I went to CLI ..and did a RESET ..it asked to confirm with a Y ..and I did confirm to reset ..then it asked to reboot the board ..So I unplugged it and plugged it in back in to reboot .. That's when my trouble started, it is now not being picked up by the laptop and MP does not "see" it .. After boot it has green power light on and Red led blinks slowly .. What have I done wrong and how can I get the MP and laptop to Recognize the board ?  Have I bricked it? Do I need to re-flash a boot-loader to the ATMega chip ??  

Regards Reuben

@Reuben,
After you reset your APM, you need to load your firmware. Then you will be able to connect via USB. If your laptop does not see the APM at all, try another USB cable, reboot the laptop, or try another computer all together. My Mac via VM Fusion is very funny when connecting USB devices.

Hi Randy

Is there a full list of all default parameter (some where). Would like to compare my settings with the default ones -Without overwriting my own settings.

@Tvixen
You can create your own default list. First save your parameter list (look under Advanced Parameter screen), then erase and reset your APM and then load firmware. Now goto advance parameter again and do a compare and load your saved parameter. I always use these steps with new firmware to compare changes.

Tvixen,

Attached are the default params for a quad with AC3.0.1.  You should be able to use the "compare params" button on the MP's Config/Tuning > Full Parameter List screen.

Attachments:

Actually there shouldn't be any need to reload the firmware after doing the cli, "setup", "reset", "Y" procedure.  What that does is reset all the parameters in eeprom to their default values but it does not touch the flight controller software which is held in the AVR2560's flash (not to be confused with where the logs are which is the "dataflash").

Doing the reset should also not affect the small avr32u2 chip which is responsible for the usb connection with your computer.  So from there I agree with Richard that you should check the USB, cable, reboot the laptop or try another computer.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service