ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

Views: 385863

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, you're still pre-charging through the balance plug right?  The difference then is just that instead of a resistor, you're using something else?

You are not going to lose anything in power, since nothing you have is actually running at 12v or even 9v for that matter internally. It's all 5V circuitry. The voltage regulator that outputs 5V needs minimum 6V or more to work . I can run my 5.8GHz VTx quite happily on 2S 7.2V batteries.

And another point to strengthen the argument is that 3S Lipo nominal voltage is 11.1V, exhaustion is 10.5V at 3.5V per cell. Or 9V at 3V per cell. (Its only above or at 12V for a short period of time)

What would be real interesting though is to actually see a system running Gozinta vs a system without and see the benefit, as that seems unclear to me. Most customers are not interested how it works, just that it works with a clear benifit.

Some food for thought.

Hi friends,

In this two last days for twice I lost some params leading to non flyable quad, bellow are the params I am losing, I am dealing in this moment with waypoints and chkd canon connected to A10 to trigger pictures, I have tried this setup lately and it flew perfect with no problem, does anybody have any Idea of what are causing this problem? I am losing only those parameters: 

Today i try RTL_LOIT_TIME = 5000 and no result... :(

I'd like to follow op on this issue which I believe is a real issue that might even be worst case with SimonK flashed ESC's.

Here is what I wrote in another unanswered post:

I think I have a serious issue here. The problem seems to be in the althold controller, maybe in conjunction with SimonK ESC's. Some weeks ago I reported a similar issue with twitchy loiter mode and SimonK ESC's. in one of the 3.0 betas and it got fixed. So please trust me and have a look into the problem. I spent all afternoon to narrow down the problem. The problem does not present itself in calm conditions so please try in windy and even better gusty conditions. Put the copter in Althold mode and try to fly a faster straight line by pushing the stick forward. As soon as the copter picks up speed and gets some external disturbances the motors start twitching as if some ALT_xx_D parameter was to high. I reduced all ALT_XX_D and I parameters to zero and set all P's to their minimum value. Still present. Compare this to flying the same maneuver in Stabilize. My guess is that some of the scaling factor is out.

Michael

Randy,

Thanks for the steer - I have reprogrammed as suggested and test flown again in fairly brisk wind - 12 mph. Hover in stable mode is pretty good with only an occasional tendency for the hex to dip its nose for no apparent reason but not long enough to cause a crash or loss of control. Could this be a vibration issue? If so, how do I set up logging to check - I read somewhere its in the MCU?

Please advise.

Regards

Barry

6V would work on VTx's with LDO regulators, but most of them aren't that nice. Lower than 6.5V is too risky for most VTx's with standard 1.2V dropout regulators. That's why you see so many failures with 2s VTx setups. I agree the proof is in the pudding, and even 7V would work, but without more explanation, it will be some time before those that have had failures on 2s feel comfy opening their wallets for a 9V supply. A schematic of Boscam VTx's would be welcome at this point... and lets not leave out the boys with 1.3. ;)

So then, I assume you pause the 5V supply until precharge is complete? ...to prevent bootup in to a low voltage condition.

Bill, I hear what you're saying, but I just can't ignore the fact that I tried running on 2S, and it just didn't work well.  By the time I got down to 7-7.5V, range was extremely limited.

Even Marco Robustini demonstrated the same issue in one of his videos. Have a look and listen to the second half of the video (e.g. 4:30) doing fast fly-by's in AltHold. I am sure there is something wrong with the AltHold controller, maybe not taking care of the extremly fast SimonK response.

Maybe that's the problem, the camera and not the VTx?  The VTx definitely passes on the 12V supply to the camera.  The VTx may be regulating down to 5V internally, but the camera may not be.

All I know is my picture goes bad pretty soon on 2S.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service