ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

Views: 386033

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Thomas!

Thanks for your soon reply :)

I use the same instructions to connect the i2c cable:

• Red wire  -- to the VDD
    on end of connector (+3.3v) goes to the VCC (or +3.3v) pad on the compass board (see labels on board for location). This is the wire closest to the interior on the APM 2.5 board.
  • Wire next to red wire  -- to the SCL
    (SCL) goes to the SCL pad on the compass board.
  • Wire next to wire next to red wire -- to the SDA 
    (SDA) goes to the SDA pad on compass board.
  • Black wire on end of connector -- to the GND
    (ground) goes to ground pad on compass board. This is the wire closest to the edge of the APM 2.5 board.

This is a back view of the mag: http://img.tarad.com/shop/m/micontech/img-lib/spd_20130703225240_b.jpg

But in my case I have a Arduflyer, and the connector isn't the DF13. Is a Micro 1.25 T 1 4 Pin JST: http://www.ebay.com/itm/171128902140?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_... and the wire colors are different than the DF13 connector. Can this be the problem?

Best Regards.

I draw this because I didn't find such a schematic.

Thanks for the reply Otto!

I solder well the wires. But I didn't sold a bridge at 3.3V

How I sold the bridge in this case?:

I have to solder any bridge?

Best Regards.

I think there is nothing to solder, this PCB works from 3 to 5V. But you should check, if the Compass from 3DR has the same chip (HMC5983) else the Data Protocoll is not the same and will not work with APM 2.5

The APM/3DR compass use HMC5883L but the 5983 is the successor and backwards-compatible.

I suggest verifying it is the processor in the PM logs. AFAIK, the processor problems have been limited to octo setups. My quad is still having no problems with 3rc2.

OnlyOnly (magazine), a Canadian news and entertainment magazine

No, it is not just the octocopter.

I have a Hexacopter which is also having issues with 3.1 RC1 and 3.1 RC2. I have tested this extensively. When I go back to 3.01 the problems seem to be gone for my Hexa and it flies fine and the communication is fine etc.

So don't assume that this problem is only there for an octacopter.

Yes, my intent was not to have people go on a witch hunt, looking for problems that don't exist (edit: or rather, aren't the fault of processor load).  I find it very unlikely that these sorts of random problems have anything to do with processor load.

My testing showed the problems were very repeatable.  It wasn't just little odd-ball things.  You could turn features on and off to change the processor load, and see the performance change.  When you go over the limit (Octo/Loiter/Simple/Mount) it's not just an oddball failure, but it completely falls apart.  There's no mistaking it.

So please, lets no get carried away here.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any direct cause, other than a servo glitch or some bird was turning the copter for you. The yaw gyro makes a break for it to start with, the nav control reacts, copter follows nav perfectly, and all the while we have no pilot yaw command. Not sure how/why. Another little observation I made, is your pitch_in is  centered ~-5.5 not zero like it should be. I also saw you have not done compassmot, nor set declination, yet compass is enabled. I would fix those details, and probably verify it wasn't a servo glitch  with motor/servo logs. FWIW, your vibes look OK, so I'd turn off IMU which uses a lot of CPU time. ATT is good enough.

I solve problem. It with PPM encoder FW.

Rob, would you say that 3.0.1 (last full release?) was safe on an octa with logging, mount, simple off if only used for stab, loiter and possibly RTL with your testing?

Its a bit frustrating as I almost went for the PX4 for my new octa but wanted a well proven setup.

Pixhawk looks good but it seems to not have pwm in, so I ill need new TX as well because Hitec dont do any Rx bus systems. Yes there is a bodge to fit a 'frsky module'  on my Aurora9 TX but its not ideal.

Hello!

Today i fly with my new Hexa X.

Now i see problem in mission same as: http://diydrones.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:1330767

(small time for turn more) But now RTL_LOIT_TIME is 5000.

Than is this??? Please see my log and help.

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service