ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

Views: 385795

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have only seen the processor issue actually verified with Lefebvre's testing. I would be assuming something by applying his results to tris/quads/hexs. I'm not saying hex's can't see problems, but until they are carefully examined and it is proven to be the result of under processing...

LimitAge of consent - While the phrase age of consent rarely appears in legal statutes, when used in relation to sexual activity, the age of consent is the minimum age at which a person is considered to be legally co...

What am I doing wrong? Any idea?

If I disconect the compass of the i2c port, the APM should be shows on Mission Planner the direction?

Best Regards.

I think I have a serious issue here. The problem seems to ly in the althold controller, maybe in conjunction with SimonK ESC's. Some weeks ago I reported a similar issue with twitchy loiter mode and SimonK ESC's. in one of the 3.0 betas and it got fixed. So please trust me and have a look into the problem. I spent all afternoon to narrow down the problem. The problem does not present itself in calm conditions so please try in windy and even better gusty conditions. Put the copter in Althold mode and try to fly a faster straight line by pushing the stick forward. As soon as the copter picks up speed and gets some external disturbance the motors start twitching as if some ALT_xx_D parameter was to high. I reduced all ALT_XX_D and I parameters to zero and set all P's to their minimum value. Still present. Compare this to flying the same maneuver in Stabilize. My guess is that some of the scaling factor is out.

Michael

WHAT HAPPEN TO MY F***ING MAG OFFSET??

ARDUCOPTER 3.0.1.RC2

I buy another APM,, (after Bad CRASH with my first APM, my stupidity) ,, at First time, I open from plastic/box,, The APM without any Soldering And Case, I calibrated the Compas,,  I get good offset X, Y, and Z is about 0 until 20 each axis

(i'm so Happy, Due to recommended is -150 until 150 ) ^_^

I don't know why,, when I place APM in My hexa tarot 680 (AFTER soldering , Casing, Plug every Cable) ,,calibrate compass ,, the Y and Z axis become 100 until 120,, but X axis is still good ,, about 2 until 20 

after that,, I took of again the APM fromThe Hexa Frame,,calibrate compass,, The value x is still better :) ,,

BUT Y and Z is still not looking good for me, is about 90 until 99,, :(

THATS MEAN THERE is Something Efeccting THE COMPASS,, AND the VALUE NOT SAME ANY MORE or maybe Getting WORSE??? T_T

I'm curious is coz by when I Building the APM At first time,, maybe when I Soldering????..

BUT MOST curious is When I realize That my SCREWDRIVER is Very Affecting My compass,,I can SEE In mission Planner,,Rotate suddenly About 180 Degree,, when I Thigting the APM to my hexa Frame

After That,, I'm Scare if I use a screwdriver with Magnetic Materialllll ..Specially TO CLOSED TO APM

Is there Any Chance ? So I can change the value, back To first I open from Plasticcc/box??

*JUST info,, MY hexa a Is flying great For me Now,, with EVERY MODE ^_^"

my MAGFIELD is still good 299 until 360,, mostly 330 ^_^

,,But Now I'm WORRY ABOUT MAG OFFSET  :(

SEE the picture of screwdriver!!!

THANKS,,,

This post has been edited to conform to the TOS. TCIII Admin

Attachments:
Kevin, thank you for taking the time to look at my log. Too bad it will remain an unsolved mystery. The pitch was just trimmed forward because it was very windy. The compassMot is something I haven't gotten to yet. The declination was manually set for where I live. I'll check it again to see if it was erased in the firmware upgrade.
Thanks again.

Mikraj,

I wouldn't worry too much about the screw driver's temporary affect on the compass.  When you're doing the "Live Calibration" you should do it when the APM is already attached to the frame and of course keep metal objects away from the APM while doing it.

Anytime you touch a magnetic material with a magnetic it will polarise it to that magnetic field. You've probably magnetized the screw a bit. The magnetic field from a screw is very localised, so only moving the mag away a few millimetres will drop the influence significantly. Best solution that with AC3.x that purchasing a external compass and mounting it 5cm or more away from PDBs and ESCs will give you great results. 

Though, not to forget to answer your question, the calibration routine will have compensated for the static mag field, and if you are not seeing Toilet Bowling, it's calibrated well.

ArduCopter-3.1-rc3 should appear in the mission planner's Beta Firmwares link in about 1 hour.  This release is primarily for the Pixhawk users because it resolves a somewhat serious issue with the SPI bus that could lead to corrupted values from the accelerometer.  There will be an -rc4 hopefully within a week which will include some CPU load efficiency gains to resolve the altitude hold performance especially for APM2 hexa and octo users.

Improvements over 3.1-rc2:
1) GPS Glitch protection - gps positions are compared with the previous gps position.  Position accepted if within 10m or copter could have reached the position with max accel of 10m/s/s.
2) Bug fix for pixhawk SPI bus contention that could lead to corrupted accelerometer values on pixhawk resolved
3) Auto Tuning (compile time option only add "#define AUTOTUNE ENABLED" to APM_Config.h and set CH7_Opt or CH8_Opt parameter to 17)
4) CPU Performance improvement when reading from MPU6k for APM
5) SUPER_SIMPLE parameter changed to a bit map to allow some flight modes to use super simpler while others use regular simple (MP release to allow easier selection will go out with AC3.1 official release)
6) Safety changes:
    a) safety button must be pushed before arming on pixhawk
    b) RGB LED (aka toshiba led) changed so that disarmed flashes, armed is either blue (if no gps lock) or green (if gps lock)
    c) sensor health bitmask sent to groundstations

Thanks Randy and DevTeam!

Barry,

So I guess you're just setting up this hexacopter for the first time and it's flipping when you try to take-off.  I think it would be best to recheck the motor wiring, the direction of the props and motors and the motor order.  You've probably already seen it but the wiki page is here.  In particular I think you should try the CLI's motor test (documented at the bottom of that page).

One bad thing that's happened in your set-up is it looks like something has gone wrong with your accelerometer calibration or you've accidentally triggered the "auto trim" or "save trim" features at some point and the trim is off.  I think if you connect your APM to the mission planner and look at the HUD on the Flight Data screen you'll see it's slanted by 10degrees.  Re-do the accelerometer calibration and it should sort it out.

Hi Randy,

Has the acceptable magfield values perhaps been increased with this 3.1-rc3 release?  On my APM1 board my magfield values are in the 158/159 range causing me to disable the pre-arm checks if I want to be able to arm my APM...

Thanks,

Thanks randy,, ok ,,

oh god, there is two alumunium pipe (D = 7.5mm,, L = 25cm)   for attach gimbal camera..

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service