ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

Views: 385223

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi all, just upgraded from 3.0.1 to 3.1-rc4 but now my quad won't arm. Has anything changed with respect to this?

I am also wondering if it is possible to easily perform a "factory reset" of all parameters? Thanks a lot!

MY APM just back to normallllll after I leave it for a while(1 hour)

I try to flash ATMEGA3202

But i'm not sure is coz by flashing 

thanks

Sure, go to the APM prompt with the planner (Terminal section), write "reset" and "Y [Enter]" when asked.

Thanks Marco! Will try this and see if my quad is willing to arm again after this.

Replying myself: indeed it does arm now. Only after I was a little more patient; it seems as if the pre-flight safety checklist is a little stricter or just gives the GPS some more time to "warm up" before letting me arm it.

I was able to arm within 10 seconds after power up on 3.0.1, now it takes around 2 minutes!

Thanks Marcus,

We realize you were not criticizing, and we really appreciate you warning us about the problem. We just wanted to take the opportunity to tell people where they should be getting rc4 from and warn others about the risks of using Master directly.

It always sucks when someone crashes because we made a mistake. Your attitude is what makes the people like yourself, that test the release candidates, SO important to our community. I owe you a drink, thanks mate!

Hi Jeroen,

In the releasenotes a hdop of <2.0 is required for arming.

Can be turned of if you want quick arming time

hdop of <2.0 is required for arming only if your arming mode need GPS. If you're arming in ACRO, STABILIZE, SPORT or TOY, there's no GPS check.

Not entirely true, my 3.1 rc4 does require hdop <2 to arm in stabilize.  Not sure of the other modes though, I don't use them.

Hi, i have been playing with pids values and can get it to flying nice without shaking but just can not find out how to make it to not have such a big angle tilt when i roll or pitch the quad. 
In loiter the quad has a small angle tilt +- 10º but in stabilize and alt hold it has a big angle tilt in roll and pitch +- 45º. 

I would like it to have the same tilt angle as in loiter so i can control it better in stabilize and alt hold

I have tried dropping the rate roll and pitch pids 
dropped p
and made i double the p
got d as high as possible before shaking. 

stabilize roll 4.5 to 4

quad:
f450
t-motor 900kv
turnigy 2650 4s lipo
apm 2.6+external gps compass
turnigy 9x + frysky d8r ii plus

graupner 9x5 props

thank you for any help

Hi Michael,

You said: "not have such a big angle tilt when i roll or pitch the quad. "

So, this happens when you give the input from the transmitter. I think you should mess around with Stab_P values for pitch and roll rather than rate_roll. Stab_P is the reaction of the RC Txm. stick to the quad. Rate_Roll is how the quad corrects itself to external input (like wind or sudden jerk or sudden stick input from Txm).

Stab_P values for pitch and roll is how smooth the quad reacts to the stick input. Having this value to 0 will not make the quad react to stick input. Having this value to MAX.. and even a small stick input will roll it from New york to Los Angeles in blink of an eye ;)

Hi thank for the info. But i have played with stabilize roll and pitch from the default values and go from 4,5 all the way to 3 which it the max i can go because if i drop the value more then 3 the quad starts to wobble. In that range of values the quad still has a big tilt angle.

With your quad or anybody elses do you notice such a big change from loiter and stabilze/althold tilt angles? Because it is night and day with my quad. loiter has nice and small tilt angle(good for fpv) but stabilze or althold has to big tilt angles to big response and makes it useless for fpv

Thank you very much for any comments so i can get an understanding of this and might help other noobs to control their quads. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service