ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

Views: 385228

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Josh!

I do see something just before each mode change on the throttle channel input. I Suspect that your radio is changing the throttle output as you change your flight mode. Could you look on the radio calibration page on the mission planner and see if your throttle changes as you change your flight mode.

As for your auto tune. It looks like you may have flexible arms or soft dampening on your APM. Could you chuck some pictures of your frame and apm mountings for me.

Hey Fabio, if I was to tell you what to change in the code could you change the parameter and test fly it to see if this fixes your overshoot issue?

AlexP,

There's an issue on the to-do list to publish the sonar altitude to the GCS via mission planner.  We simply didn't have the CPU previously to do this.  Now we probably do although it's still very tight especially during loiter.  In any case, can you attach a dataflash log?  That will allow us see the sonar altitude.

Hello Randy, 

I just ran the three different speed through. I saw no difference of the twitching between 8Mhz and 4Mhz, at 2Mhz it started to slow down and at 1Mhz it disappeared on my board.

I put in the next reply the 3.0.1 500kHz and 3.1 8Mhz logs for comparison.

regards,

Det

Attachments:

2 more logs

Attachments:

Hi Randy,

Unfortunately I have no logs....: I had the Octo rest outside for a while to prevent any temperature related issues. When I tried to 'boot up' the Octo, the ESCs (3DR) made weird noises. When finally I made that stop after a few reboots, the Octo did not fly at all and made uncontrolled moves (glad I was indoor in a controlled environment). So I'm right now resetting everything and trying again...

All electronics are original 3DR.

Will keep you posted.

Alexander

Thanks and absolutely. I am still on 3.0.0 once I made the switch to 3.0.1 or maybe directly 3.1, I will give it a test again.

With 3.0.0 and previous version 2.9.1, I used acro mode alot and I liked it. Contrary to many pilots, acro mode is always the number #1 on my flight mode switch. I don't like to rely on automation entirely:)

I just did a full reset, erase, recalibrate, compass dance, etc, etc, and it seems to have solved the issue. However, it is dark and cold here, so I will try again tomorrow.

Thanks!

Upgraded to rc5 today on my octo and was messing with the armed motor speed parameter. I don't remember what it was set to initially but I think it was 100. I slowed it down to 70 and then even tried 50 but I would just get some clicking noise from one of the escs or motors even set to 70. Even when I changed it back to 100 and wrote parameters I had the same behavior. It seems that the new setting doesn't stick right away. I restarted the APM and changed the settings again and eventually got it back to what it was. Are the values listed in the full parameters the only ones you can use or can you input 90 for example? I was hoping for a slower spin but the way it is now set to 100 is fine. Does it require a reboot for the settings to take effect?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service