ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

Views: 385512

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello,
Today I made ​​the test with AutoTune fw 3.1.RC5, everything was perfect the test lasted about 4 minutes with excellent final results. I saved the new parameters, and then I flew both Stabilize and then AltHold Loiter, everything was perfect very stable and maintains the height in AltHold in a wonderful way. Good work boys.
I had a hint of wobble as you can see in the video and in shape and at the end of the second log.
the first log is more Autotune test flight.
In the second log is the wobble.
Thank you for your work.

Greetings

Video

Attachments:

Yup, AN5,

LED's are plugged into AN6 and AN7 which function fine. (GPS and ARMED)

+1 and I've only had 2 flights with it compared to 1000s with it the previous way. I prefer to see the visually arming. It tells you it's ready to take off in an obvious way and with newcomers in this hobby more and more, I think it will be safer.

No more problem bumping the throttle with the swinging around the neck Tx :)

Hi Graham,

What is AN6 and AN7? Are they the pin numberings on APM?

I'm in the middle of upgrading an octo that I prefer to not have a surprise with :) I always do a save parameters before doing an upgrade and then do a compare. I don't do an erase first unless necessary. This time I noticed some differences I'm not use to seeing. Should I carry any of these over besides the battery capacity?

Attachments:

Randy,

Octo with APM 2.5 & RC5: I have troubles with sonar (MD1240). CLI shows correct sonar readings, but in flight sonar does nothing. It will not avoid ascend/descend when seeing an object. I tried Enabling sonar as well as Sonar on CH8. Nothing....

Sonar is using 100uF&10Ohm setup. Mounted at base of copter. 

Is there any way to bring sonar alt in to the 'tune' window?

Additionally, cli is not always consistent reporting sonar enabled/disabled.

Any ideas? 

Thanks

AlexP

I think you should go back to these parameters.

THR_ACCEL_D,0
THR_ACCEL_I,1.5
THR_ACCEL_IMAX,500
THR_ACCEL_P,0.75

THR_RATE_D,0
THR_RATE_I,0
THR_RATE_IMAX,300
THR_RATE_P,6

THR_ALT_I,0
THR_ALT_IMAX,300
THR_ALT_P,1

In your first log you had THR_RATE_P is 10 and in your second log you had THR_ALT_P is 2 and your THR_RATE_P is 8. These are very aggressive numbers, especially for an APM1. Your THR_ACCEL_I is 0.5, this is too small.

If you still find it overshoots with these numbers I have added some more conservative numbers below.

THR_ACCEL_D,0
THR_ACCEL_I,1
THR_ACCEL_IMAX,500
THR_ACCEL_P,0.5

THR_RATE_D,0
THR_RATE_I,0
THR_RATE_IMAX,300
THR_RATE_P,3

THR_ALT_I,0
THR_ALT_IMAX,300
THR_ALT_P,0.5

Yeh, the new rate request limit is really marginal for your copter. Hopefully Randy and I will get the parameter in so you can change it. I am pretty sure this will fix your problem.

Hey Leonard, any chance you've had a chance to look at that +Motors log?

No, it looks good mate.

Can someone post a link to the changes since 3.0.1. I thought I saw a post a few pages back but not finding it now.

Thanks. Will test it out tomorrow.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service