ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

Views: 385369

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Don't know if this has been asked before. I read that the compiler that comes with Arduino(1.3) generates slightly bigger code than the one the dev team is using. Is there a description on how to install the develeopment environment? Target is to reproduce the exact hex files as are uploaded via MP.

Thanks,

Michael

Any news about the not connecting (heartbeat) issue in mission planner 1.2.85???

Thanks. Stuck on *^!%#& Windows ...

Hi All,

I have a question regarding the AP_OpticalFlow_test that comes with the latest download. I have the latest arduino IDE, APM2.6 and arducopter 3.0.1. I follow the optical flow sensor wiki and modify the pde file as stated:

• if you are using an APM2 modify lines 22 and 23 to look like below:
//AP_OpticalFlow_ADNS3080 flowSensor;              // for APM1 
AP_OpticalFlow_ADNS3080_APM2 flowSensor(A3); // override chip select pin to use A3 if using APM2

When I compile this I get the error: 'AP_OpticalFlow_ADNS3080_APM2' does not name a type

I also notice I am modifying line 17 in my code..... not sure if that makes much of a difference.

Any help much appreciated! Pulling my hair out at the minute! :-s

I'm not having any problems with 1.2.85

I'm not having troubles with 1.2.85 either.

Running on Windows 8 x64, APM 2.5, running 3.01 rc5, 3DR 433 radios, MinimOSD v1.1 (I think) and using the 3DR telemetry/video Y cable.

I do get the heartbeat message if the USB is plugged in as well though but that doesn't appear to be your issue.

-Mike

I tested with the mission planner, 1.2.85
and connects well with the clone and original boards 3dr.
but the code v3.1rc 2 onwards cause connexion problems with boards 2.5.2 rc  timers clone.

and if there is something wrong, because with the code clone board v3.0.1 works great

Hi David,

You are using the auto level on your SPORT mode arn't you. The test really needs to be done with the auto level turned off. That way you have zero control input when you let go of the sticks and you can let it fly at speed with only the control loops effecting any change.

Please see my question.

Sorry Raefa but I don't understand what you are saying is happening. However, from your settings I can see that you have ACRO set to level limited with ACRO_BAL_XXX set to 1. 

So I expect that when you let go of your sticks you will get a slow rotation back to level. If you hold your sticks hard over you will get to around 70 degrees (for your settings) before it stops going further.

The angle limiting is there to help stop you from going inverted when flying in ACRO. If you are pushing the sticks against the angle limit you are not using the limit the way it was intended. The idea is that you see that you are rolling or pitching too far and you let go of the sticks or reverse the sticks to level the copter yourself.

First thanks to dev team for the wonderfull work they do.

Recently I got my PX4FMU/IO and decided to try the autotune with 3.1-RC5.

everything looks good at the end of the autotune procedure the QUAV is very well tuned and very pleasant to fly except that I can't memorized the values (I am doing exactly what is discribed in the autotune procedure ,land disarm with autotune switch hight).then I check in mission planner all PID's were unchanged !!!.

Can someone tells me what I am doing wrong.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service