ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

Views: 385845

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thor,

your vibration levels are pretty good, i checked already yesterday:(Z should be in between -5 and -15)

i must have graphed the wrong items, thats not what it looks like here. the X & Y were perfect, the Z was out of whack and at the 0 line when i graphed it.

so you used Gyrx/Y/Z and not AccX/Y/Z..

At the moment I make a Log-checklist and upload it in few mins.

no i used Acc XYZ maybe thats wrong? according to this? https://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/AC2_Troubleshooting

the picture above is from your log file 20131203183517.log

AccX/Y/Z is correct. you can see that in the trouble guide second picture if you zoom in.

Mates here is my little checklist for Logfiles. Pls consider that it isn't complete. only some examples.

I hope Randy or sb can do a validation. Feel free to update.

Just for fun and to open your mind a little from graphs and curves look at this:

http://youtu.be/TgcpV7Mll3s

Regards Christian

Attachments:

Bernardo could you upload your logfile then? I will test it too. I have that behavior only after take off and enabled antenna tracker. Just to compare the Roll-RollIn and Pitch-PitchIn

Yes Randy :) I've been absent for a while due to health condition, but I'm back again, so I guess it'll take me a while to get familiar with all this new parameters. Loiter however, seemed to improve a lot (and I mean a lot). Horizontal drifting it basically gone in my case. Congratulations to a great code.

Guys, hate to tell but RTL is not working in some circumstances on AC3.1RC7, here is how:

This afternoon i've been doing fast flying and sudden full reverse to test attitude on a hexacopter in ALT HOLD. Also the copter worked perfectly in loiter, it had all set up, calibrated, compassmot, etc..., BUT

WHEN I ENABLE RTL IN FORWARD FAST FLYING ALT HOLD MODE, THE COPTER KEEPS FLYING FORWARD WITH NO INTENTION TO COME BACK HOME. IF I STAY STILL AND TRIGGER RTL, IT WORKS.

I have all logs and tlog but the night was falling and did not have the time to download and analyze. Anyone can confirm what's happening to my hexa setup? could be GPS glitch radius 100 too small? I'll upload logs tomorrow.

ps. Randy, i will give you the ROI mission clips on dropbox, tomorow also.  Today i 've done some testing until sun set.

Thank you for your support. Mihai.

Do any of Us that have 3DR/APM boards ever have to worry about this? http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-12/04/flying-hacker-drone Skyjack, Used on PArrot Drones, can hijack the signal of other drones. do we have the same back door on APM Boards? just wondering, not worried? something to think about i guess?

Thor,

That exact hack wouldn't work but it is theoretically possible for someone to do something similar if they tried hard enough.  For example if you have a telemetry link enabled and especially if you haven't changed the NetID from the default then it's possible for someone else with a 3dr radio to send messages to your copter including things like switching to guided mode and making it fly to a particular location.  If someone also searched through the full list of netIds (which would take a while) they might find your copter even if you'd changed the NetID from the default.

I think a future version of the 3dr radio will include some additional protection.

Dragu,

Logs will help but without those I'd guess that it will initiate RTL if you wait a little longer.  In fast forward flight it first projects a stopping point and then begins the RTL from there.  So if you're flying quite fast it might first continue in the current direction for a few seconds and then turn around.  Once I see the logs we should easily be able to confirm because the NTUN message will show where it's trying to go.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service