ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

Views: 385883

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What is the Throttle_Trim parameter for and how does it effect ALT HOLD? is it s system set value or is it programmable. thanks

Thor,

That's the base throttle that the autopilot (including alt-hold) use to control the throttle.  It's automatic so you shouldn't have to adjust it yourself.

is it any clue to where my THR_MID should be? still having trouble getting my Stabilize Hover motor speed to match up to what ALT HOLD thinks it should be

We went through before AC3.0.1 and I think we've gotten rid of any cases where we can get a divide by zero error.

Generally people shouldn't need to modify the INAV_TC_Z or _XY numbers although Rui, i guess you've been with us a while so you're at this level.  That's pretty advanced stuff as you're changing the proportion of baro vs accelerometer in the inertial nav altitude estimate.  In any case, in my testing, I've found that 3 is the lower limit (baro noise  makes the alt-hold jumpy unless PIDs are reduced greatly) and 7 or 8 is the upper limit (leads to drifting because of accel noise).

Hi @Randy

I wanted to ask you if you have found any problems with loiter in RC7. In this forum, two other people commented on a replay I did a coouple of days ago saying that they have the same problem as me.

Sometimes the copter starts drifting to one side (any side) while in loiter. It can happen when you just engage the mode or after a couple of minutes of using it.

If you need logs I will be flying this weekend trying to see if the issue shows up again.

By the way, is RC8 comming this weekend like you said in the Google Groups? 

Thanks!

What are the Most important Parts of the LOGS to review while tuning your aircraft? is there a wiki for that? Not the CURRENT on, but one that says look for this to know that?  thanks

Thor,

Could you set your THR_Min back to 130.

could you set THR_Mid to 400, so we can reach a stick position on your radio of ~50%.

could you set THR_ACCEL_P to 0.6 and THR_ACCEL_I to 1.2?

Please fly with the new settings in stabilize and upload your logfile.

Do you try to mount Bruce(X650) APM board on Bumblebee or do you have a extra APM for Bumblebee? I ask bcs of the baro noise from your last log file.. Maybe that second APM has hardware issue with baro?!

Randy, sorry I didn't know that you already checked code for D. by Zero cases.

Thor pls have a look at:http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/arducopter-2-9-released?commentId...

so you can see that leonardthall gave advice to lower THR_Accel 0.5 for P and 1 for I.

and Randys trouble shooting guide

so pls enable inav in your logs.

Also pls check the discussion here:

http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/arducopter-3-0-ready-for-wider-us...

It ended in Tonys answer:

...[I have fixed the 'hunting'.

I think there is a chance I inadvertently set Throttle Accell D to .2 - the default is 0.

Thanks for the help.]...

Christian if you are looking at an old log, my min was 50. if so thats been changed to 130. Currently my Problem Child has been reset to old params before changes i made yesterday. i will take it out, fly it, then make your changes, fly it then we can see. i also moved the APM up a level to the top of the craft.

All My  Aircraft have an APM FC, so no need to trade back and forth

Currently you are not seeing Logs from Bruce or Bumble Bee (X650), this log is from the F450 Red One. Also i noticed after looking thru the trouble Shooting Guide that randy linked, my IMU Vibrations are WAY off in the ACCZ, it is like the BAD example in the trouble shooting so i wil have to address that today as well

hello

-After doing autotune on my Y6   (RTF 5kg,batt 6s8000MAhx2,APM2.0 rc7) i got some realy big values as you can see on picture above.and bcs. i had fast oscilations with this settings i lowered the values for 25%(stab.and..rate)

-now it is less nervous and realy respond to comands very well but when i roll to the right copter dips down(in stabilize is somehow linear in alt hold its fast drop of 1m until controller bring it back to desired altitude)..if i dont touch anything alt hold is solid and loiter as well(it just hang in the air at same spot,almost perfect)

-i we noticed that problem before(but before also when i roll left copter goes up,as well roll right copter go down) so i folowed instructions of someone in this thread

http://www.diydrones.com/group/arducopter-y6-owners-group/forum/top...

and swap signal wires of motor 4 and 6 also changing rotations of those motors so now i have all props on top spining in same direction and bottom too and now it is better but..my top props are 14x5 and bottom is15x5,5 but since i broke all the other props i had to put same props(14x5) on motor 4 and 6 not 14x5-15x5,5 combination(top-bottom)....it did go thru Autotune without any problem,logs of that is in autotune discussion

http://www.diydrones.com/forum/topics/ac-3-1-autotune-support-discu...

-my question is does my Y6 dips down when i roll right bcs of that prop is 14 not 15?

-attached is my logs from 2 test flights(please do not pay attention to my voltage and current readings since my Attopilot 180A is not the one you can trust)

-sorry for my bad English and long post

Attachments:

ok i have reset everything according to this post. unfortunately i live in an apartment complex, so i have to drag everything out to the RC Field to test, so heres hoping we've found this to be the solution for Red One (F450) thanks again for all your persistence and help Christian. i still like to know what i should be looking at in logs to figure this out on my own. sooner or later i have to get this all into my head.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service