ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

Views: 386084

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rick

I have been outside with it dozens of times, inside i have the laptop at a desk and test settings out with props off. i am also a bit more conservative than you, i am not one to throw the quad up in the air with out confirming everything is in working order. a fall from 6 feet is less expensive than a fall from 30 feet.

Christian

My current problem is finding the Link between my throttle setting and ALT HOLD. In 3.0.1 i did not have this problem, it held Altitude nicely on this quad. on RC7 the FC seems to think i need a higher ALT HOLD than  when i hoover at 6 feet or so and it starts rising. happens in loiter to, so what i am trying to deduce is the correct Stick position or THR_MID that maintains the current altitude that the quad is at.

As far as other settings, i havent changed a thing on settingsn other than some GPS LEDs and THR_MID/THR_MAX. any settings currently on the quad came when i updated the Firm ware to RC7. Radio and ESCs have been calibrated. Why is the Power Module at 170A, i have no idea why it is at that, i didnt set it that way. thanks for your help i'll look at the PID settings, i was hoping to do an Auto Tune on this Quad to see how it works out before changing any thing.

I have a situation (don't know if I can cal it a problem). When I set Vertical Time Constant (INAV_TC_Z) to 0, altitude constantlly increasing. And not in a linear way, it seems to be adding to previous value. Anyone tryied to set this to 0 ?

Did you really fly during this log? Your Baro seems to be really bad..

See one from me:

Is your Baro protected with foam? Could you test baro in CLI? Test

Rate R/P is higher than normal, i mean I never changed that. Could you set it back to 0.1?

yes my baro is covered with foam, this is an inside the house log, would that matter? the aircraft is just sitting on the gorund with no props. what did you click to make that graph?

testing my Baro i get High value 101749.8 low value 101746.0 for a five second test in the CLI i dont know what those values mean so i'll wait your response.

the graph consists of BarAlt and WPalt in CTUN values. Doesn't matter inside house. Did you disable your GPS logs? Do you have external Comp´+GPS?

I've found a log of mine sitting on ground and is similar to yours. CLI Value seems normal.

Then I can only suggest to set up right the Thr_min, max and mid params. start with default values.

Save all your special settings and reset APM in CLI setup. One question, why do you use port 12 and 13 for power meter? is it really connected there? I thought for 12 and 13 it's neccessary to cut some circuits on PCB.?! Does Baro internally use same Channels? Now only Randy could help.

Regards

Christian

thats what i am trying to figure out, the "CORRECT" THR_MID that matches up to what ALT HOLD/LOITER expects. I am looking thru the code now to see what it is ALT HOLD expects and to figure out Why it just doesnt take current Throttle values when ALT HOLD was switched on. to me, it seems, ALT HOLD has an expectation that seems to me to be hard coded, i.e. ALT HOLD Function seems to expect to be at 60% Throttle, but again i am reviewing code now to see what it does expect.

I Have an external GPS.

on the Question of Port 12 or 13, i didnt set those values, they are as they were when RC7 loaded. As a rule i dont touch too many parameters, The most i focus on is THR_MID, LED and some of the Failsafe values. Those are the only ones i have changed.

thanks for helping out tho, i do appreciate your answers

watch the scale, your's is at a different scale.

who is this comment for and if its for me, then what scale are you referring to?

Hi TheMightyThor. The graph image Christian is comparing cannot be compared since they are in different scales. The one on top has higher zoom and resolution than the one bellow. I don't know if a rescale to same resolution wouldn't show iddentical results.

ok thank you very much!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service