ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

Views: 386047

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I used hard felt furniture pads under my motors to good effect. Bought them at the builder's supply store.

hi guys,

got a crash today after tuning the copter with autotune. the autotune procedure went well. the copter was quite aggressive at takeoff (fast motor correction) but flying very sharp as I would expect it.

have been flying around few min until I went for a full speed pass. when I pull back the pitch stick the copter went into a backflip and crashed. props off. not sure when the copter disarmed them (in the air or on the ground). what is for sure is that on pitch in and pitch in APM datalog, we can not see clearly at the end of the file the curves going in different directions!

at the same time I have a second question, why I am not getting GPS data on the same scale as the pitch ones and can not compare them over the time.

I attach here my log

Attachments:

Renaud,

Could it be, that a prop has come off? As you can see in the last case(3), you and APM requested full throttle but battery voltage didn't drop as expected. In case 1 and 2 you can see a normal behavior. Thr up always causes voltage drop..

Another reason could be ESC cut off voltage is set, or motor has stopped due to timing issue. That can happen if throttle output becomes to low. That happened to me in past ..

Or of course something else happened

in case 3, I guess that the copter was flipped at the time so the motor was like pushing more "free" therefore pulling less current. what I need to understand is why it did not break as it normally does and instead went to a flip

Randy or anybody... could you please have a quick look at this log and explain what happened?

additional info, the crash mode went on before the copter touch the ground as per the persons who were next to me checking the pc telemetry when the crash occurred.

what is for me strange is the difference between pitch and pitch in.

for info my copter is an hexa fitted with Tmotor MN4014 and 18x6.1 props and weight 4.5kg.

It looks like some kind of mechanical failure.  reply over in the forum.

Hi All,

What happened when we switch to LAND mode while quad still on circle mode. I saw a crash today while triggering to LAND quad was banking back side like a lost power.. Using the new V3.1 fw. 

Are you paying attention to the flyaways still happening? Do you plan on making GPS status accessible to the community? I don't understand why you don't want to organize this data.

Hi, I think I am struggling with the same issue as this.

I started a thread which includes 3 videos and logs so I will not cross post.

Twitching Backwards when collecting IMU data

Did this issue ever get resolved? I found this searching for more information on the AngBst field as I have spikes that overlay the GyrY field when my Quad twitches backwards during hovers.

I would be interested in your thoughts.

Regards

Kev

Gents,

Please could someone help me to find out what happened on this crash? It is the first time it happened after flying several missions with the same equipment for many months. I am uploading here the logs and a link to the video.

http://youtu.be/Llg2pOn-Eos

I am using Arducopter 3.0.1 with an Arduflyer 2.5 + external compass.

Thank you

Attachments:

Hi Fernando, 

Can you supply flash logs?

Please find attached. 

Thank you!

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service