ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

Views: 385805

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That file has no flight info in it. Throttle is at zero the whole time.  And there's only a single GPS point, probably where you powered up the board, it has no  activity in it.

My money says you have RF, electrical, or magnetic noise too close to the APM board.  These things are super sensitive to that kind of thing.  The wiring between the battery/ESC/motors really needs to be a minimum of 2" away from the FC and more is better.  Keep ESCs and noisy receivers at least 4" away.

If you can get a good log file, it's fairly straightforward to check.

Did you perform the compassmot calibration?  What value did you get out of that?

That's the only log I had. Did all the calibrations. Compass was in the 90's I think. Same setup I had with 2.9 and never had a problem. 3.0.1 has cost me about $1500 sofar in damages. Thought it was supposed to be beter than the old version. Sofar nothing but problems.

I'd make #1 priority to fix things getting good telemetry AND data flash logs.  Not much can be done without them.

I had your experience with 2.9 - I came scary close to hitting someone when it flew out of control on me. On a second flight it flew off on its own and luckily hit a tree rather than the house next too it.  I quit APM after that, only came back to try the new SW and am much happier with it.  And maybe I've learned to build cleaner craft in the last year.

I haven't the slightest clue how to get good logs.  I just know where to find them.  Thinking about going back to 2.9.  Atleast it actually worked then and flew great.

The first build that went nuts and crashed when it went into RTL the ESC's were in the main body right under the FC.  http://youtu.be/_8S-WzkRBdM  On the second build i put the Esc's on the arms, mainily because it was easier than trying to stuff them in the middle and it still does the same damn thing.  So moving the esc's does nothing.

Attachments:

Valentina Russo, from my multirotors piloting school, testing my "Marcopter Speedvision Full Carbon Heavy Quad", this is one of the first flight test of this UAV.
Valentina is the first woman in the world who can fly a multirotors manually, i mean in stabilized flight (documented with a video), i'm very proud of her progress after only few months.
The firmware revision is "APM Copter V3.1-DEV", now i think mature enough for release.
Special thanks to Virtualrobotix Italia, 3DRobotics, the whole APM Copter Dev/Testers Team, Gianluca Moretti for the "Speedvision" frame and Lorenzo Gualiumi (the filmer).

She's perfect control.

Sounds like you just want to fly and not figure out what's wrong.

Good luck!

The best place is right here.

It would be nice to be able to fly it. Have only flown it maybe a handful of times this summer. Bs. Knda hard to fix it when noone has any clue what's wrong with it. i

Ok just did another flight today and decided to do a little FPV.

Take off to a loiter worked great in fact such an improvement no fluctuations like in 2.9.1 then I hit what looks like a loss in RC control so it went into RTL( I also hit the switch then for RTL on my tx to make sure.... The thing just kind of stood where it was doing some toilet bowling, I waited  and then stood up and hit the stabilize and regained control because it was not losing any ALT.  I then went and dropped it in and landed. I just have a tlog here and I am not sure why number one it went into RTL it really was not that far away and two why was it acting screwy on RTL?  I looked at the RSSI stuff and looks like there was defiantly a drop out so that is probably the answer to why RTL implemented in the first place.  

I mainly use this machine for AP but it is setup for FPV just in case I can't get in close or I have a tall building and its to far for the eyes so I would at least like to be able to trust the RTL if I get in trouble.  Thanks guys / gals. Hey speaking of that where are all the women? Seems mostly like guys maybe I need to get my gal flying these things.

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service