ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

Views: 386094

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello!

Finally I solved the problem! One of the solder pins are corrupted. I solded again and clean the rests of flux and now it's working!!

Regards,

Right on Vince, can't believe I didn't even think about my cameras LOL. All my rigs use that same 600tvl WDR camera, and the majority of my FPV friends do too. It is like the go to cam for a lot of folks. Therefore not including 12V means A LOT less sales.

AWikipedia: A (named a plural aes) is the first letter and vowel in the ISO basic Latin alphabet.

Slightly off topic, but just how good is that camera?  How does it compare to the Pixim Seahawk?  How do either of those compare to getting an analog out from the Boscam HD19?

Just curious.  I just have some random camera from HK, and would like something a little better.  The Sony one is not a bad, but the Pixim is like $120?  And I'd be interested in the HD19, nice to do a recording right on board, but only if the live picture is at least as good as the Sony or Pixim.

Ron.. sc2000 has the pixim for much less and the quality is quite good:  http://www.securitycamera2000.com/products/690TVL-Ultra-WDR-Pixim-S...  I think I may have posted this in the wrong portion of the thread but you get it :)

Yeah OT, but I'll be quick...

Some of my friends have both the PZ0420 (Super HAD 600TVL WDR) and Pixim cameras, and I haven't heard anyone say they're satisfied with the money they spent on a Seawolf (of those who also own the PZ0420). Having seen the 2 flying side by side (with otherwise identical setups), I definitely don't see how the Seawolf is worth the extra $$$. The colors are generally a little more accurate with Pixim, but not to the degree that it will help you see where you are going (it's still grainy/static laden SD). You can get a PZ0420 locally for $40 with a 2.8 lens (I like Pete @ SierraRC).

I don't know much about that Boscam HD cam, but AFAIK there are no HD sensors made yet that can handle low light even half as good as the 2 former cameras. I have also yet to see an HD cam that deals as well with sun in your face. That said, I'd love own a setup that helps me see tree branches in horrible lighting like a PZ0420, and can record HD like a GoPro... without having 2 cameras onboard. ;)

Re- the camera.

I have not got my new 5.8 TX/RX set yet so the camera is still in the box

This chap likes it "best FPV camera ever". For the debatable improvement I dont think the pixim is worth the extra $

It wont embed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wdqsCl...

MHA,

My hands are mostly tied up at the moment trying to squeeze a tiny bit more out of the APM2's CPU for the AC3.1 release but do you have dataflash logs of one of these flights?

Barry,

Great news that you got it flying.

Have you calibrated the ESCs?   The next likely candidate is that the THR_MIN parameter is set too low for your ESCs so they're occasionally stopping.  The default is 130, you could try raising it to 150.

Instructions for checking the vibration are on this wiki page.

Joao,

Are you using AC3.0.1 or one of the beta releases?  Is this an APM2?

Some of the differences appear to be due to rounding (i.e. INS_ACCOFFS_X), while some must be real changes that I expect you've made (i.e. WPNAV_LOIT_SPEED) while still others seem to have returned to their defaults (i.e. RC7_MAX).

A few possibilities I can imagine:

1. hardware problem with the eeprom which probably can't be fixed except to buy a new board

2. the eeprom is full.  there's actually not enough room in the eeprom to store non-default values for every single parameter.  normally people only update some parameters so people never notice but if you tried to update every single parameter at some point that could cause the eeprom to be full.  The solution would be to go into the cli, setup, reset, Y and then re-do the copter's set-up.

3. some kind of bug in the mission planner or language setting on your computer which is making the mission planner unable to recognise the numbers that are being sent from the APM to the MP (i.e. "," used instead of "." in some languages).

Doug,

yes, it's very possible and actually quite easy.  feel free to add an item to the issue list.

I loaded rc3 and have seen an issue with battery voltage and current measurements:

when click "Initial Setup" tab I get "error  Not Available"

when I go to "Battery monitor" with V and current, other and APM2.5 non 3dr and try to adjust measured voltage, I get "error Not available" and nothing changes.

When I switch to 3dr APM2+3dr PM the 3dr Sensor the voltage is wrong by 1 volt and when I try to adjust the "measure battery voltage", I get "Invalid number entered"..

Whats up?

yes, I also encounter that error "not available" once you click the battery monitor.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service