ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

Views: 385473

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I will have a look at your logs when I get a chance to understand exactly what happened.

I disagree with your statement suggesting that we should have roll pitch yaw control in land. Land is an autonomous function like auto or the fence failsafe. If you want control you should change mode to Alt Hold so you can also take control of your decent rate.

Thanks for posting your logs and I agree with you on the GPS position finder in the mission planner.

I am glad you got the copter back!

Just started to have trouble connecting to MP. I can connect to the terminal, but can't connect to MP. Using 3.0.1 & latest MP. My other AMP 2.5 connects just fine to MP & terminal without any troubles. What changed?
Thanks Marc
3.0.1 is flying great on a TBS Disco.

I had exactly the same problem with my 2.6 on friday. I left everything as it was over the weekend, just plugged it all back in on the off chance it would work today and it did! That doesn't help you much with a quick fix solution, sorry. I would like to know if there is one as this has happened to me before too.

+1

Yesterday I noticed that after conect and then disconnect via Terminal Tab (to dowload logs) I wasn't anymore able to connect via the usual connect square button.

Also noticed that APM "ABC" lights went off (Rx/Tx leds kept blinking).

After unpowering and powering again APM and closing reopening Mission Planner (1.2.85) I was again able to connect the connect square button.

Miguel

Miguel, yes my ABC lights go off to & don't come back on.
As for trying again, I did try again the next day. Maybe I have to wait longer, doesn't sound right. But it's worth a try.
Marc

Same here. rctimer board doesn't work with led's going off at connection attempt. 3dr board work fine. Hope this is not an attempt to knock out chinese clones :-). Hey, I bought at least one geniune 3DR board!

Leonardthall

When ever you get time.

Here is the log file , no dampener on the QAV400 so the clean section is fixed on the dirty one .

Attachments:

I hate to say it but here is a Arducopter 3.1 RC4 bug (serious one) on APM2.6:

-During AUTO mode, gps lock was lost for 5 seconds due to some external factors. Copter never recovered AUTO after gps lock become solid (10 sats) It was drifting away and no RTL or LOIT worked. I suspect the new anti-glitch GPS filtering routine has a bug .

- Secondly, after a few seconds from getting gps lock again, quad entered in GPS FAILSAFE, LAND mode kicked in and i LOST CONTROL of roll/pitch, even i had GPS lock and RC control (LAND mode should give roll/pitch authority, but the way)

-After crashing and loosing the copter, with only video telemetry available until hit the earth (mavlink PC telemetry was lost first) i managed to get the gps coordinates of the crash location. I added them into google earth but somehow it didn't point exactly the spot. MissionPlanner should have a box where to manually put crash GPS coordonates from video link in the same format mavlink offers from video telemetry. Is more fast and reliable to use MP to find your crashed copter, and prefetched maps are a real help also (no need to connect to internet)

The cross marks the ground impact. I had 10 sats GPS 3D lock and i was in LAND gps failsafe mode :( 

Attachments:

If you put LAND as a GPS failsafe mode, do you prefer to go down blindly (no gps) or at least have the FPV control mode? I reposted the topic with logs and a graph, few posts below

I have 2 3DR boards & 1 rctimer board. I hope that isn't what they did either. If it is. I'd like to get all my settings out so can just load them in another 3 DR board.
Marc.

Hi,

Even then you don't want this. Suppose you loose the connection to your TX since you are flying too far away, and the copter decides to do an RTL which is ok.

Then when the TX signal is again properly received (since the copter is getting closer) I would like to be able to abort the RTL and take over control again by switching modes back and forth..

Note that there is no risk of receiving "crap signals" as I use a PCM TX/RX.

Without this I can not abort e.g. a dangerous situation at the RTL landing spot, just suppose somebody is in the way, then you want to abort and manually land 2m further from the RTL spot.

Regards,

John.

I am really happy with my APMs but I've been stung by this "feature".  My hex went into "landing" mode because the battery was low (threshold set too conservatively)...  I had full video, radio, and line of sight but could do nothing but watch while it took more than a minute to slowly descend and "land" in a location that that took 4 hours to get to.  If I could have steered it a few meters as it decended, it would have saved me a ruined battery and some personal scrapes.

No, you can not change modes or influence your multi rotor in any way when it goes into battery failsafe.

As for RTL, it depends how it entered that mode.  I regularly use radio selected RTL and swich modes back to stabilize or alt hold as it gets close to home.  For my peace of mind I have tested radio off RTL as well.  My radio receiver selects RTL mode when the xmtr is off.  When the xmtr is turned back on, I can change modes and fly away.  This works really well.

I would like the capability to "steer" when failsafe is detected for anything other than radio PWM out of range. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service