ArduCopter 3.0.1 has been released and is now available in the Mission Planner, firmware.diydrones.com, GitHub and the new Downloads Area.

Warning #1: Compass calibration and reducing interference is far more important than with 2.9.1b

Warning #2: GPS glitches can cause sudden and aggressive position changes while in loiter mode.  You may wish to reduce the Loiter PID P to 0.5 (from 1.0) to reduce aggressiveness (see image below of where this gain can be found in mission planner).

Warning #3: optical flow is not supported but will be back in the next release (AC-3.0.2 or AC-3.1.0).

Warning #4: loiter turns does not maintain altitude.  This bug will be fixed in AC-3.0.2.

Warning #5: This release has only been lightly tested on Traditional Helicopters.

Improvements over 2.9.1b include:

• Inertial Navigation for Loiter and Auto meaning much more accurate control (Randy,Leonard,JonathanC)
  • 3D navigation controller follows straight lines in all dimensions between waypoints (Leonard,Randy)

WPNAV_SPEED, WPNAV_SPEED_UP, WPNAV_SPEED_DN, WPNAV_ACCEL allows configuring speeds and acceleration during missions

• "compassmot" to compensate for interference on compass from the pdb, motors, ESCs and battery.  (Randy,JonathanC) (Set-up video here)
  • Safety improvements:
    • simple Tin Can shaped Geo Fence
    • pre-arm checks to ensure all calibration has been performed before arming (can be disabled by setting ARMING_CHECK to zero).  (video description here)
    • GPS failsafe - switches to LAND if GPS is lost for 5 seconds
    • stability patch improvements to stop rapid climbs in very overpowered or overtuned copters
  • Circle mode improvements including "panorama" when CIRCLE_RADIUS set to zero (Randy,Leonard)
  • SONAR_GAIN parameter added to allow better tuning of sonar surface tracking
  • CH8 auxiliary switch (same features as CH7)
  • works on PX4 (some minor features still not available) (Tridge,PatH)

How to upgrade:

1. Make sure you are using Mission Planner 1.2.59 or newer (get it here)

2. Click on the MissionPlanner's Hardware, Install Firmware screen.  The version numbers should appear as "ArduCopter-3.0.1", then click the appropriate frame icon and it should upgrade as per usual.

3. Reduce the Loiter and Alt Hold PIDs if you have modified them from the defaults.  The modified PID values for the 3DR frame can be seen in the image below.

Note: Nav parameters have been combined with Loiter so do not be concerned if you can't find them.

4. Although not directly related to this release, if you purchased an APM prior to March of 2013, update your PPM encoder to the latest firmware (instructions here).

5. Try out the new version in stabilize mode first, then alt-hold, then loiter and finally RTL and Auto.

Numerous How-To videos are available:

Special Thanks to MarcoDaveC and the large number of testers on the pre-release thread who put their copters at risk during the extended testing period.  Some of their videos can be found hereherehereherehere and here.  Thanks also to MichaelO for the MP changes required for this release.

All feedback welcome.  Please put your questions, comments (good and bad!) below.

Views: 386840

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Leonardthall

When ever you get time.

Here is the log file , no dampener on the QAV400 so the clean section is fixed on the dirty one .

Attachments:

I hate to say it but here is a Arducopter 3.1 RC4 bug (serious one) on APM2.6:

-During AUTO mode, gps lock was lost for 5 seconds due to some external factors. Copter never recovered AUTO after gps lock become solid (10 sats) It was drifting away and no RTL or LOIT worked. I suspect the new anti-glitch GPS filtering routine has a bug .

- Secondly, after a few seconds from getting gps lock again, quad entered in GPS FAILSAFE, LAND mode kicked in and i LOST CONTROL of roll/pitch, even i had GPS lock and RC control (LAND mode should give roll/pitch authority, but the way)

-After crashing and loosing the copter, with only video telemetry available until hit the earth (mavlink PC telemetry was lost first) i managed to get the gps coordinates of the crash location. I added them into google earth but somehow it didn't point exactly the spot. MissionPlanner should have a box where to manually put crash GPS coordonates from video link in the same format mavlink offers from video telemetry. Is more fast and reliable to use MP to find your crashed copter, and prefetched maps are a real help also (no need to connect to internet)

The cross marks the ground impact. I had 10 sats GPS 3D lock and i was in LAND gps failsafe mode :( 

Attachments:

If you put LAND as a GPS failsafe mode, do you prefer to go down blindly (no gps) or at least have the FPV control mode? I reposted the topic with logs and a graph, few posts below

I have 2 3DR boards & 1 rctimer board. I hope that isn't what they did either. If it is. I'd like to get all my settings out so can just load them in another 3 DR board.
Marc.

Hi,

Even then you don't want this. Suppose you loose the connection to your TX since you are flying too far away, and the copter decides to do an RTL which is ok.

Then when the TX signal is again properly received (since the copter is getting closer) I would like to be able to abort the RTL and take over control again by switching modes back and forth..

Note that there is no risk of receiving "crap signals" as I use a PCM TX/RX.

Without this I can not abort e.g. a dangerous situation at the RTL landing spot, just suppose somebody is in the way, then you want to abort and manually land 2m further from the RTL spot.

Regards,

John.

I have the same problem, connects perfect original table, 2.5.2 rc timer connects once and then nothing. telemetry in flight just turns off or crashes, I suggest using the v3.0.0 in Chinese tables and use the MP 1.2.82
I think if it is something. As with the code of gps u blox

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1897295#post25070306

This is a deceptively complex decision but land is used in a bunch of failsafe situations. Some of them you defiantly don't want the APM to pass the receiver commands for roll and pitch. We need a simple and consistent behaviour to minimise the workload on the pilot during a very stressful event.

If the pilot wants control they can flick a switch and land in Alt Hold, or even better fly home and land at their feet. If a pilot can only fly in loiter then I would prefer the copter landed itself blindly.

We have seen numerous situations where giving control to the pilot during when Land is enabled caused a high speed crash.

Hi,

I have converted my HEXA-B to an X8 configuration. It looks very similar to the 3DR RTF X8 except it has a much higher landing gear. AUW is almost 5Kg ( I have an NEX5T with gimbal attached and I use 2X 5800 mah) . It flies  perfectly well in Stabilize and Alt Hold. Loiter works ok in calm winds. However, the response is a bit sluggish when I navigate in loiter mode. Also, when little winds pick up (5 - 10 mph), loiter is not accurate at all. Compassmot is at 6%, declination is per your instructions. 

Attached is my current configuration. What would suggest I modify next? I have Loiter PID at 0.5 because of the 3.0.1 bug. Where should I go from here?

Thanks, you guys do a great job.

Attachments:

Hi, just a quick question.

Does APM log or tlog records the RC stick position? 

Thanks 

Seems like such an action would be prohibited by the GPV3 agreement, no?

Are we really not able to gain control once the battery failsafe is initiated?

That didn't sound good to me. I like to have the final word no matter what. What if there is an emergency like John described!..

Hi John,

Here is my graph of a short 4min flight I did without the sonar.  It was slightly windy but the copter kept its height to within about 1m -> 1.5m...

Towards the end I had tuned THR_ACCEL_P to 0.68 as it felt like a good setting...

Attachments:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Season Two of the Trust Time Trial (T3) Contest 
A list of all T3 contests is here. The current round, the Vertical Horizontal one, is here

© 2020   Created by Chris Anderson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service