Replies

• I have MP running on bootcamp on my MacBookPro as are all of the low population interest group software programmes, which as Paul Mather quite correctly points out are unlikely to be ported to Mac. Use the MAC native bootcamp or Parallels desktop which is a VM that can run all the other non MAC OS variants.

The MAC in all its current forms is the best PC ever.

• I get that this is a joke thread however I may as get my 2 cents worth in.  I also started on Apple II with 16K of memory however I did not touch an Apple again until a few years ago when I got an iPhone.  Since then I have done the switch and not regretted it.

Apple made the stunning realisation that people use computers for things.  In business 95% of them make black marks on pieces of paper and at home they listen to music, surf the net etc.  If the business computer can't make black marks on pieces of paper or at home cannot surf the net then no matter what you wrap around your Mach kernel, be it Windows or OSX or Gnome, it is crap.

This is what the religous people miss.  Most people don't know or care what is under the hood.  Someone in Apple realised that listening to music was the idea, thats what people wanted to do, and the easier we make it for them to do this the more units we will sell - and the rest is history.  The Zune may have been better technically however the iPod fitted into a system that made it easy to buy music, in a way the record companies would accept, and listen to it.

Similarly with the iPhone it makes it easy to make phone calls and send text messages and fits into an easy app store ecosystem and the rest is history here as well.  Other companies saw the light and copied it so we now have Android unix on phones as well as iOS unix and an App store and Google Play.  Apple created the App store and others have followed that model because it works.

Which is where Linux, in its multitude of distros, misses out.  Yes it is superior however personally I do not want to spend the 14 days it takes to get it working right on my PC.  If we chose OSs on technical ablity we would all be using OS/2 and Windows 3.1 would never have seen the light of day.  However Gates and the boys swindled IBM, took the code and ran and dressed up the pig that was Windows, made it look pretty, and gave lavish lunches and convinced people to buy a rotted pig that was Windows because it was dressed up as pork.  Meanwhile the operating system that actually worked, OS/2 that IBM and MS were supposed to work on together lanquished in the back rooms because IBM could not design a UI or market anything if the company depended on it (which it did actually - IBM nearly went under).  The first windows OS that actually worked was Windows 2000.

I use Apple now because it works.  Computers are not my hobby and I want them to work.  I work in IT and fix peoples (Windows) problems all day.  I like the ecosystem for apps and music and while apple delivers I will buy.  I also like the quality of apple products and will pay the premium for design because it works for me.  I also have a Dyson vacuum cleaner for the same reason.

However I have use Google for my Internet ecosystem.  I use Chrome on all my devices because the tight integration between browser, bookmarks and mail works for me on all my devices, windows, iOS or OSX.  I just bought a google nexus tablet for $140 and I love it.  I need it because I am running AndroPilot and DroidPlanner and it works a treat and I love it.  I will not be buying an iPad as for this application, flying a drone, the Android has what I need.

Rabbiting on about the OS gets people where they are now - writing on blogs.  Realising that people use computers for things makes you a billionare.

• We may need a separate forum for "more evolved" Windows users.  As for me, well, I blame Steve Jobs.  He is robbing me blind even from the grave, and his products are conditioning my wife and children to use only Apple products.  Look out GE, GM, and Boeing.  I expect my kids to drive MacMobiles or iCars when they go to college and kit out their first house with new Apple kitchen appliances (iFridge, iOven, iDishes).  

• Or should I say "misinformed" as always. Most of the time they've never even used one...
  • Wow...the anti-apple fanatics are out in force today. Deluded and misguided as always too, I see.
  • Fanatics amuse me.

I started on an Apple II way back in 1979 or 1980. I quickly figured out that I couldn't afford to stick with Apple because of the high price of their peripherals. Sold it and the next Christmas my wife gave me a VIC-20. Go ahead, laugh if you want, but I learned 6502 assembly on it and quickly progressed to a Commodore 64. When Commodore introduced the Amiga 1000, I was second or third in line - now *that* was a machine before it's time, both hardware and OS wise. Unfortunately it's own whiz-bang custom chipset doomed it when the more-advanced video cards started coming out for Windows machines.

These days I use Linux. Why? It does everything I want (I no longer even dual-boot or use VirtualBox) and it's *free*! Besides, with the army of open source developers out there I don't have to yell and scream if I want something; usually if I look hard enough I'll find that somewhere someone else has written what I need - really cool. Not only that, but I can have my OS the way *I* want it, not shoved down my throat by some elitist clown!

Do I hate Apple? No, just their marketing and control methods. Do I hate Windows? No, just their pathetic bloatware. Do I really, really like Linux? You bet, and I've successfully converted others to it by showing it's (to me) obvious superiority.

Enough said - so go enjoy what you use and try not to be a dweeb about it, grin!

Cheers   :-)

• @Paul I dont know what you're talking about "real business" or anything like that? Your choice of OS does not legitimize how "real" your business is. Credentials are meaningless and I wont go into them. I dont understand how the starbucks comment relates, and why you assume I am "religious" to a certain OS. I develop on a mac for "business computers" (assuming you mean windows) daily. My stack is Redis/Go for business logic, Storm written in clojure running on the CLR (.net) or the jvm(java) for concurrent data operations, then I pull everything into a nice AngularJS web frontend. It does CRUD operations for approx. 800 people at any given time, has been load tested to over 10,000 concurrent connections and typical response time is sub 1sec.

The beauty of the entire system is that as long as I have my GCC, the entire system is platform agnostic. I can run it on my mac locally or on the mix of local ubuntu boxes and Amazon Linux instances on aws. I can even run it on windows (with a few more headaches, no homebrew/macports for one, dealing with the banal gui's...) 

Once again the mentions of corporate culture are odd to say the least, especially the one about enemas? I can assure you much to my dismay the corporation I work for is rigid at its best, stifling at its worst. At least they (unlike some pure C#/.net shops I have worked for) allow me to use the best tool for the job. Gone are the days of WPF and sql clusters, I personally welcome the return to old paradigms (functional lisps and key-value stores).  

It's people like you that are going to find it difficult to adapt. I remember a time not too long ago where rampant hatred for apple was considered the in thing to do for pc hotrodders and scriptkiddies. Right arround the time I stopped copying my code from stackoverflow is when I realized platforms dont matter, it's what you create with them. Each has their benefits, swearing off one for no particular specific reason (what you did) just makes you look like an idiot. 

• Developer

QGroundControl which is written using the Qt platform is being updated to with Mission Planner features work with ArduPilot. Qt will run on Linux/MacOSX/Windows

• There are MANY Mac fans here in the development community so my comments absolutely do not reflect that of DIYd or anyone else for that matter. But why didn't you just spend the $300 - $700 on a Windows laptop to begin with instead of $2,500 on a Mac? Paying $20 - $30 for a decent Mac native GCS might make a developer, what $1,000?

Imagine you're looking to develop a piece of software for a profit. One path will work for 80% of the computers out there (.NET for example). Another path will work for 9% of the computers out there (Whatever it is you develop in for OSX). A third option that works for absolutely nobody (anything cross-platform). Which one makes the most sense to work on?

I absolutely applaud you for asking the question. You HAVE to! It's absolutely mandatory that ALL insignificant OS users complain, and complain LOUDLY that you want a product for your OS. Otherwise, what was the point of buying that OS if nothing runs on it? So keep on trying!

For me, I have made myself a personal promise. No matter how big or how pervasive Apple and it's products become, I will never own one. My wife has an iPhone that her work reimbursed her for. The President of her company (at the time) was a big fan of Apple. She seems to like it. Me, I'm anti-Apple so I do as little with it as possible. I really miss my Android as my latest phone is a Windows Phone 8X (BIG mistake, I'm about to drop another $600 to get rid of this hunk of junk). I could always stick with my Windows Phone and just complain loudly in hopes things get fixed. But I'm not of the Apple/Linux mindset. I'm willing to cut my losses and go to what works instead of trying to get the OS to change to fit what I want to do.

But again, these are just my opinions....and I hate Apple.

This reply was deleted.

Activity