Replies

• Thanks for the tip Rob, I got it running :)

Notes:

1. Almost tipped over because full i term stays on when on the ground (too much delay switching over to leaky)
    2. Changed to leaky, and flies good
    3. My rate_pitch_p gains are 10x higher on this code over 2.9.1b
    4. I did some messy flips and your code is working great :) 10/10 there mate well done!!
    5. Only limitation so far is my tuning
    6. 45 degree phase wobble is only bout 10% as bad on this code, so I'm wondering is its even worth worrying about now? Its incredibly small now.

I'll upload vids soon

• Rob I just tried to upload your code but its not working for me. I tried 2 times both uploaded ok but APM does not respond, it just sits there doing several gyro cals before giving up.

Settings were HAL board set to APM2.x, restarted arduino etc

• I'm aiming to get your BF code operational on my heli again for this weekend. I'll be including the anti wobble code I wrote yesterday so I can run high gains, but if I have any problems with it I'll upload the unmodified version of your code code. I'll get gopro footage and upload for you to analyze.
  • Rob, I'm missing somthing big with your code. For me it flies pretty badly, like the rate gains are half or something.. (?) I'm keen to try it on sunday :)

• Joly, I pushed the new Acro mode changes to my branch.  The Pitch and Roll are tested and seem to work.  The yaw has not been tested, but I copied the code for the yaw controller as well.  Please have a look and make sure I didn't miss changing a "pitch" to "yaw" somewhere, and bench test it.  But I think this is going to work.

This isn't perfect yet, but it's a working so far.  I find the stick input looks right on the swashplate.  But if you leave the stick centred  and move the heli, the swash doesn't respond as I think it should.  So seems like the angle error correction isn't been handled correctly.

I also saw some indication that your Piro Comp might be necessary.  I did a pirouette at higher speed and got a nasty wobble.  

• Had another idea guys, what do you think:

When the heli is on the final stage of an RTL, as it's descending to the ground, should it automatically rotate the tail around so that it is facing the same orientation that it was when it was armed?  ie: it's landing in the same place it took off. Safe to assume the pilot is standing in the same place?  And safe to assume that the pilot will want it to face tail in on landing?

I typically rotate it around manually.  Any reason not to make it automatic?

Currently the heli will rotate around nose to the home location as it flies in, but then have it spin around as it's landing?  This could always be over-ridden.

And then similarly, say you have an auto waypoint mission, and you have an auto landing, but not an RTL at the end.  If the landing point is within 10m of the launch point, rotate it tail in again?  Something like that?

• Joly, so it sounds like the DD Tail code changes worked for you?

• Don't miss my blog posting showing the latest in my full I-term flying and full auto takeoff and auto landing.

http://www.diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/arducopter-tradheli-develop...

This actually doesn't show off the I-term flying, that actually requires flying manually.  I did have a near-tipover on my last flight with the 600.  I'm not sure what happened yet.  Might have been the ground detection, or it might have been "leans" (that would suck) or it might have been the AHRS getting dizzy?

• Very impressive, Joly!  I am new to this forum but just read the entire thread.  I want to make one my 450 helis into a UAV, which I have been planning to do since 2006, but you guys now have an awesome system working so I can't wait to try it.  I'm also a graduate student in control systems looking for a project. 

What is the current state of autonomous landing of traditional helis?  Does it work, or almost, with the existing stabilizer, or is there more work to be done?  I was thinking it would probably require an optical flow sensor to deal with the ground effect, so I guess that means I would need a PX4 to experiment with it.  What do you think?

• I just tested the piro comp code in alt_hold. Success :)

You can feel the i term being transformed because the body tilt gets translated when yaw is introduced, i.e. for a heli with 5 degrees of right lean (almost all of helis are like this) left yaw causes forward movement due to the tilt being rotated the opposite way (left yaw = right swash rotation). The stabilize controller soon corrects this difference in body tilt though.

Its not 100% ready yet because the body tilt shouldn't be rotated -- BUT this means that swash rotation IS happening. 

The next step is to subtract the body tilt before rotating the swash, before adding it back in.

This reply was deleted.

Activity