ArduCopterNG Beta2 - Compass Offsets

Everything works fine until I get to the compass offsets. It displays scrolling data but everything is zero and never changes as I move the quad. I did run the CLI "a" command and made sure that the mag was activated.

Any Ideas what to check?

This Quad was flying fine with the RC_1 release, this happened when I upgraded to NG.I know that Rc_1 didn't use the compass.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Developer

For people who want to see how offset calibration is done, I posted video how to do it and how to configure your magneto orientations.

Check out http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/video-arducopter-magnetometer

• Same problem here. I have a MAG just bough from DIY drones.

I soldered it on the shield being very carefull and everything was working even though I always had different offsets.

So I mounted the IMU on the copter and I never had the yaw still, so I went back to the CLI and never had numbers again only 0s...

I have no idea how to check if it is a board problem or a Mag problem, and since is my second one (the first i broke the 3.3v while cutting the borders) I wouldn't like to buy another.

Any Ideas on how to check it is really the mag (i.e. with rs232, avr programmer etc.)?

Thnaks,

Emile

• @ Doug & Robert,

All the soldering looks ok under the microscope.

There is a possibility that the i2c bus not functioning properly.

Is there anyway to test the i2c?

Regards, Michel 

• Hi Doug and Robert,

Make it three people.

Like you I get also only zeros with the CLI.

Tommorow I will take a closer look under a microscope.

Keep you posted.

Regard, Michel

• Well I found the problem, sort of. I put CLI in Compass Offsets and it started displaying 0's. Then I pushed on each of the components on the board individually and found that I started getting data when I pushed on the small square chip closest to the pins. The problem seems to be a bad solder joint on the board itself. Now I'll see if I can identify the exact joint and fix it.

Doug

• I'm at the exact same point in the process and I'm having the exact same problem. (I'm using the DIY magnetometer with #define MAGORIENTATION  AP_COMPASS_COMPONENTS_DOWN_PINS_FORWARD)

• Developer

You can test your maggy too by opening example sketch from Arduino IDE. Just look under examples AP_Compass and AP_Compass_test

• 3D Robotics
    Sounds like the magnetometer isn't connected right. How are connecting it?

(I'm assuming you have a magnetometer--they don't come with the base ArduCopter or APM)
This reply was deleted.

Activity