Ardupilot Quad - Circuit board position

Is it possible to position the Ardupilot circuit board out of a quadcopter center of rotation?

The frame measures 1250mm (60 inches) from motor to motor, and the board would have to be assembled 130mm, (6 inches) out of its center...

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I would like to bump this one!!!

Can someone in the know chime in?

I am a little conflicted on this topic, and have not yet received my APM to do any testing. Just running the idea through my head, being further from center would result in a greater impact to some measurements, and not others. accel vs gyro... So one could move away from center in X and/or Y axis to increase accel sensor readings, as the same angle change would result in the sensor traveling an increased distance in the same amount of time. But to any benefit?

Or maybe I'm nuts and a complete clown?

Sam

• Hi there,

I'm relatively new to quads myself but I don't think from a logical perspective that would work.

here's how I figure it....

If  the board reads data ( changes in degrees ) from a central position, then no matter which way it tilts, the system will give the same opposite effect to counter that movement. Its like a sea-saw - sure you can have  2 small kids at one end and one fat kid on the other, but a non equal distribution of weight without  the same amount of weight to compensate I think would cause the motor ( on the side closest to the board ) to work harder to compensate. - then there's the central pivotal point to consider.  for "trim"

I believe the closer to center the board is placed, the easier the trim would be to set and maintain.

Hope Im on the right track here..

Cheers..

This reply was deleted.

Activity