Replies

• We VidiAir could probably provide you with one of our RPAs to achieve your goals.

We have one more specific aircraft that can go quickly onsite and hover as a multirotor (see photo).

We do have H264 quality video links on UHF so you can see in HD what is under the aircraft.

Henri

Plane-quad1-A.jpg

• Henri that looks awsum! I like the idea of UHF.

What is the maximum range for signals?

Regards

Jaco

• @ Jaco Haar

As you are probably aware, links are dependent of ground and airborne antennas. Weather conditions are playing a role as well. So if I was giving you a number it could be true today but not tomorrow. With reasonable conditions, 15 to 30 kms are achievable.

One advantage of our quad-plane is that you can circle hours above the point of interest, even if it is moving, to let the ground "anti poachers team" arrive..

Regards

Henri

• Hi  My name is Leo. Currently in Antarctica .Busy building drone (Electric Glider) Flown many RC survey missions. Also got Poaching problem back in NAM. Would like to be involved in any such projects. Has build a few custom RC models.job. Electronic Engineer. Knowledge of RC and GPS systems.Aerodynamics etc.Ex farmer. Love wildlife Would like to visit ather African countries and fly there.

Cheers.

mareeleo@yahoo.com

• Thanks Leo.

I will keep you in the loop, one never know what the future holds.

Coming from the tropics...this Alberta winter was long mate!

Cheers.

Jaco

• Hallo Martin,

How's Bots doing. The last time I was in Maun there was only n dirt road going through the centre of town and Marcos the greek had a couple of stores next to it.

Any way, I am putting a similar project together for a group in Mozambique, You know the rhino's in Kruger is taking a pounding. Last year we were more than 2/day being poached. After the rhino's the jumbo's will come under ax again, we can see it happening in the northern parts of Moz. 

70% of the horns pass through Moz. and then over the pond to asia.

What I'm hoping to achieve is a platform that can last four hours and more (6) if a group is spotted. (eye in the sky whilst the ground forces move in).

The payload will be around 5 kg. excluding fuel/batteries. I have not decided on what it will be gas or batteries, I am still trying to sort all the electronics, cameras, range and comms etc out.

Ok Ntati 

There are plenty of six hour commercial platforms out there but none with a 5kg payload. What I am saying is that's a tall order. I hope you are already flying smaller platforms to get a handle on tuning a beast like that.

• Hallo Gary.

Nope flew some glow plugs in the mid 70's. 

At the end I will most probably will not fly one myself. My speciality lay in the field of tracking mate. Been doing it for 28 years.

Pick up some skin cancer, trying to stay out of the sun. Instead drink beer in the shade now ;-)

My idea is to coordinate, get you guys to put a system together that meet the criteria, built it. Get a support team together fly out to Africa. Roll out the program. Give training and pull out.

As new technology comes by benchmark it here in North America, test it send it down. So hopefully everybody gets a share of the pie and credit.

Everybody down there is trying there best but I have noticed a lot of shortcomings. We have to marry the two, what's up in the sky and what's going on down on the ground. 

• Maybe some people will help me on this issue regarding to weight. 

hyperspectral sensor/s 1 kg

FLIR 1 kg

Geo 1 kg

batteries to run these equipment plus GPS, processors, servos, cameras and what not.

What would one recon is the total weight of this?

• Opinions may differ, but servos and other flight related things, are considered part of the u.a.v., and usually not part of the payload.  payload is sensors and other equipment that are extra.   if it'a  gas tav of any size or powered by some flavor of recipe engine, then it probably has a generator, and so batteries would be minimal, and only for powering essential flight systems in case of an engine failure.   there are special sensors that are lighter for u.a.v.'s, and although they cost more, it's usually worth it because the weight, therefore the cost of the tav goes down, and added benefits like needing potentially fewer permits if applicable, and easier to transport, less fuel to carry, etc. also, the lighter the tav, the better the performance, flight duration is directly cost related.   gps sensor weighs almost nothing these days, about as much as a coin.  swappable payloads can let you carry only the sensor you need, for instance, you would not prob need a flir in the daytime.

This reply was deleted.

Activity