Automated Parachute Drop / Camera Trigger?

Edit: Success - http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/it-works-fully-automated-parachute-drop-from-quadcopter

I want to try this with my quad and see if and how it works.

Here's my waypoint list:

3690954240?profile=original

Basically takeoff to 6m (will actually take off the ground myself as AC v2.7.1 doesn't seem do the takeoff).

Then fly to a close waypoint at 10m alt, then to a further waypoint at 60m alt, loiter for 5 secs, release the chute, loiter for 5 secs, descend to an interim waypoint at 30m, descend further to a closer waypoint at 15m and RTL from there. This is in a fairly open area and the drop will be about 60-70m from the takeoff. May change the waypoint positions if there's a bit of wind.

Does that order & logic look about right?

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Has there been an update to this - I am trying to get camera trigger to work using a transistor and it is not clear how to set this up in the mission planner. There are some transistor options on channel 7 and on the shutter section of camera hardware options, but neither seem to cause anything to happen on the output (i have only checked RC 8). Randy mentioned hardcoding it to PIN 9, is that what was done?

• I would like to do servo in WP but i don't have method to do it

Getting closer to having this working (with ACv2.9). The release servo works on the ground with CH7, but am using the DO_DIGICAM option for the mission.

Will test hopefully in the morning...

• apm 2.5 and arduplane 2.68version ,I have replaced ap_camera files from here trigger function perfect by manual in MP,but still not work on waypoint , i think the camera code not complete at present , I really would like to know when will release next arduplane version.

thanks a lot.

Tang

• Any updates?

Anyone got this working?

Just been testing in Arduplane HILS (Hardware-In-the-Loop-Simulator) and the changes in the mission planner appear to be optimised towards ArduCopter which also seems to have broken the servo-out in ArduPlane HILS. (It was working before in the HILS)

I also checked in ArduPlane v2.68 (flying version not HILS) and there the servo-out seems to work(?) with the servo going to the positions commanded by the new Shutter options in the MP. Haven't physically flown to test as would prefer to get everything working on the ground in the sim first.

• Developer
         I've checked in some changes to get the AP_Camera library working again and also allowed it to be invoked from the channel 7 switch.  This will go out in 2.9 which isn't too far off now.
         The affected parameters:
            CH7_OPT =   9 to enabling triggering of the camera servo (or relay)
            CAM_TRIGG_TYPE = 0 if a servo is attached to the shutter
            CAM_TRIGG_SERVO_OFF = pwm value when servo is in resting position
            CAM_TRIGG_SERVO_ON = pwm value to push the servo shutter
            CAM_DURATION = how long to keep the shutter pushed in 10ths of a second.  So 10 = 1 second, 50 = 5 seconds.
         On the way, i removed some unused variables and overall it saves 4 bytes of RAM.
         All feedback welcome!
  • Developer

Graham pointing out this thread to me.  I also tried to make a servo move but was unable to.  Certainly having to make all do_* commands appear between two waypoints is a bit annoying and makes it harder to test.  Even so, I did manage to make the do-servo command execute but the physical servo didn't move.

I'll have to look into this more and try and sort it out.

-Randy

• check out the diy parachute instructional video produced by Experimental Airlines (Youtube) and also demonstrated by the Conservation Drones guys.

MJ

V2.65 HIL Flightgear simulation is working very well, here is a simple mission file that tests the DO_SET_SERVO and DO_JUMP commands. Load it into the APM and watch the CH6 output in 'Flight | status', when the plane reaches waypoint 2 CH6 switches from 1200 to 1800 for 1 second (to drop the 'chute) then back to 1200 and then repeats the mission 5 times.

I'm using the Cessna in FG and set ALT2PTCH_D to 5.000 and XTRK_GAIN_SC to 0.

DO_SET_SERVO-DO_JUMP-mission.txt

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/3692557246?profile=original
This reply was deleted.

Activity