Autopilot clarification/suggestion for UAV Senior project

Hi guys,
At my school, there have been a few senior projects related to UAVs.They were good projects except they were never completed either due thecomplexity of the project or complications along the way.

After this frustrating scenario, two friends and I got together andwanted to build a UAV capable of actual flight for our senior project.We are engineering majors (me electrical and my two friends mechanical).Our idea is to build a UAV capable of “actual” autonomous flight andflexible enough for modifications in future senior projects.

My part of the project involves integration of electrical components and making sure everything works the way is supposed to.I’m putting together a spreadsheet with all the features that thedifferent autopilots offer. I’m looking at ArduPilot Mega, UAVDevBoard, Paparazzi Tiny v2, AttoPilot.

I read that the AttoPilot is not open source so it might boil down to tiny v2, ArduPilot or UAV Devboard since I want something that's open to modifications in the future.

1) How does the ArduPilot Mega or UAV DevBoard differ from the tiny v2since they seem to be open source and possibly open hardware?

2) What telemetry interface is available for ArduPilot and UAV Devboard. Tiny v2 has an interface in ubuntu which seems pretty slick but I have not played with it yet. Also what is the master-slave and why does that seem important.

Thank you.

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• What recommendations you have for an rc system, what would I need that is compatible with the autopilots? where should I start looking for ?
  • 100KM
    May I suggest my techpod1.1 for an airframe ? The fuselage was designed for payload integration . I would be more then happy to share the aerodynamic and inertial analysis data i used to design it .
  • Thanks Chris, now Tiny v2 seems flexible in both software and hardware but will require some external help coding and adding other components. What about APM and DB? Is it equally challenging? Also for telemetry is there like a windows software or linux software that I could use with these two?
  • 3D Robotics
    1) ArduPilot Mega (APM) and the UAV DevBoard are both IMU-based. Tiny V2 is thermopile based, as far as I know.

2) These are the telemetry ground station interfaces for APM. The UAV Devboard does not have a dedicated ground station yet, but I know that's coming soon. Not sure what you mean by "master-slave". That's not a term we use.
This reply was deleted.

Activity