Hey guys,

I've got two cameras, a Canon SX260HS and a Sony Nex N.

I would like to use one of them in my next multirotor and I'm looking for a gimbal.

I want to use the multirotor for GIS purposes, so the gimbal must be able to be pointed straight to the ground (orthographic pictures).

I don't mind to be able to move the gimbal during my flight, I just want the camera to be stabilized without any vibration.

Do you have any idea which gimbal could be the best one regarding my needs ?

By the way, could someone explain me the differences between :

* Brushless Gimbals

* 2 axis gimbal

* 3 axis gimbal

Thanks

Arnaud

You need to be a member of diydrones to add comments!

Join diydrones

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Gerard,

Whats the best way to mount a camera on a copter facing straight down? Where could I source the mounting plates from?

• I have mine hanging by tie-reps really from the battery compartment. I don't use a gimbal myself, but know that others are using them. The downside of not having a gimbal is that if you have strong winds, your angle is a bit off from the survey area, so you need to adjust for that considering the wind direction.

If you're worried about vibrations, kitchen sponges work really well.

This is my lipo holder:

https://www.mikrocontroller.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&am...

The screws on the side protrude just a little bit, so I have the camera transverse on this holder (the lipo cable points out back). I always use the camera with top side (where the switch button is) forward, because this reduces the number of lanes you need to do laterally.

LiPo Halter Set (GFK) [LIPO_HALTER] - 29,00€ : Mikrocontroller - (MikroKopter) - Shop
      Mikrocontroller - (MikroKopter) - Shop LiPo Halter Set (GFK) [LIPO_HALTER] - Dies ist ein Set für einen LiPo Halter zur Montage an die runde Centerpl…
  • What's the best way to hard mount a camera facing down on the bottom of your copter? I really only want two plates, with dampeners in between them. Is there anywhere that sells these plates for a camera? I don't have access to a 3D printer or machine shop.

• Gerard,

I'm also trying to select a gimbal but I'm using mine for research so my camera needs to face straight down in the nadir view you mentioned.  Can I purchase a 2 axis brushless gimbal  and then just modify mounting so that it points down or do I need to get the 3 axis gimbal?

thanks

mike

• I am using the Canon  260 on a 2 axis gimbal and am getting very good results.

The main drawback on the camera is the retractable lens.

In my early tests, I lost a Canon A2500 to grit that was blown into the lens retract mechanism. 2 flights was enough to kill the camera.

To combat the problem I am using a 2 fold approach. the first is a 5' x 5' carpet to use as my takeoff/landing pad. The second is lens protection using a 52mm UV Filter attached to a sponge with a hole cut for the lens.I have had many successful flights with no camera damage. While developing the lens protection, my first prototype protected a test camera for a 5 minute hover, 3 feet over a sandy gravel road.

• Arnaud,

Brushless Gimbals - Uses brushless motors to keep the sensor (camera) level and on target with the subject. Brushless require less maintenance then brush motors and last longer. 

2 axis gimbal - The sensor will rotate around two axis. If you where to use this on a aerial platform (ie multirotor), the gimbal would keep a camera level by compensating the aerial platform's roll and pitch.

3 axis gimbal - Just like a two axis it would compensate for the roll and pitch, but also for the yaw.

cam-yaw-pitch-roll.png

This reply was deleted.

Activity